Author Notes: How can you go wrong with onions carmelized in lots of butter? Add to a creamy base and yum yum. This version is by no means low-cal, but it's lightened up with the addition of non-fat Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream. - UpAllNite
Serves about 12
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 Vidalia or Spanish onions
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt/pepper to taste
- Quarter and slice onions thinly. Melt butter in large saute pan over medium heat. Add onions, sprinkle with sugar if using, and saute stirring occasionally until onions are soft and golden brown. Set aside.
- Beat yogurt, cream cheese and cayenne pepper with electric mixer until soft and fluffy.
- Fold in onions and season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill until ready to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip