If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Growing up in Russia, both my parents and grandparents made this simple eggplant and tomato dip. It's good as a dip or as a side or an appetizer.
A note on roasting an eggplant: you can simply put it in a pre-heated 400 oven (unpeeled!) for about 40 minutes, until it's tender. OR you can go one step further to add a wonderful smoky flavor to your final dish. Here's what I did: put an eggplant directly on top of the flame on your gas stove. Keep turning the eggplant until all the skin has been blackened. Then finish roasting the eggplant in a 400F oven (mine took only 15 minutes). Let the eggplant cool, carefully remove the skin and drain off any liquid that might be inside the eggplant. - Olga of Mango & Tomato
- 1 eggplant, roasted, skin removed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced (or just use a microplane)
- salt & pepper to taste
- drizzle of sunflower oil
- splash of white vinegar
- In a bowl mash the eggplant with a fork.
- Add tomatoes, green onions and garlic.
- Season with salt & pepper, and drizzle with sunflower oil and white vinegar.
- Let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip