If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cardamom - I find my mind self in love, with a spice. The first time I used it in a sweet recipe was the summer past when strawberries almost past their prime met this spice. Before the pot of strawberry mix gets to jelling point, the whole house is enveloped in scents so delightful. The result - a jam that is sweet and minty, intensely aromatic, warm, full of character and packed with a lot of flavour. Hands down the best jam I ever made. —Kitchen Butterfly
Makes 1 cup
- 2 cups strawberries (1 punnet), washed & hulled
- Juice of 2 limes
- Seeds of 10 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1/2 - 1 cup white caster sugar
- 2 cups apple pectin (or the equivalent pectin powder)
- Combine the strawberries and lime juice in a large bowl and crush with a fork/potato masher, till liquid is released from the fruit. Add the cardamom seeds and leave to macerate, a few minutes to a couple of hours, refrigerated.
- Blitz in a blender/food processor till the strawberry mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a large pan, with the sugar and the liquid pectin. Bring to the boil and then turn down heat and let cook till reduced and edges begin to collect thickened syrup. Watch it carefully so it doesn't overheat and burn.
- If you don’t have an eye for telling when the jam is ready as it may still look somewhat liquid, do the jam test, by putting a small saucer in the freezer to cool. When cold, put a small bit of jam on the cold saucer and let it rest for a couple of minutes, then touch the surface of the jam. It should wrinkle if it is ready.
- Pot/can if you like. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Quick! Make these summery recipes while there's still time
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
This week's #happylist.
Storage made crystal clear.