If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have been cooking with cardamom a lot lately. Everything from cakes to soup! Enjoy this scrumptious cake! - hollyshaner
Food52 Review: WHO: Hollyshaner is from Florida and a food blogger at cinnamonslices.blogspot.com.
WHAT: A carrot cake with a ton of character.
HOW: Mix up your cakes, whip up your icing, layer, and slice.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Some carrot cakes seem promising -- but are dry, crumbly, and tasteless. This is not one of those carrot cakes. The yogurt and carrots give the cake moisture, and the hint of cardamom makes it shine. We ended up adding the sugar in the frosting to taste; if you prefer your frosting on the not-so-sweet side, you should do the same. - The Editors
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange, zest of
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup yogurt, plain
- In the bowl of mixer, with paddle attachment, beat sugar and eggs until light yellow. Add vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon. Add carrots and orange zest and toss to coat.
- Add flour mixture, alternately with yogurt and oil, to egg mixture. Stir only until just combined.
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour two 9" cake pans. Pour batter evenly into pans. Bake until golden, about 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinches salt(optional)
- Cream butter and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar. Beat well. Add vanilla.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Recipe of the Day
Strawberry, Rhubarb, and Lime Popsicles
Shop Spring Cleaning
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
The Best Cinnamon Rolls