If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I think tofu gets a bad rap - people cringe at the mention, chefs on the FoodNetwork have been known to sneer at it. Well I happen to love tofu, and I eat a lot of it. I thought maybe if I shared some recipes others might jump on the tofu bandwagon too. This is really Nannydeb's recipe, she told it to me over the phone, and i made it. She gave me the OK to post it though ....
*** UPDATE - THE PICTURE IS WAY OUTDATED - OUR COACH IS NOW CHARLIE STRONG! *** - aargersi
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1 small green pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch whole cumin seed
- 1 (heaping) tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon New Mexico (or your favorite) chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes - fresh in the summer, drained canned ones any other time of year
- your favorie salsa to serve with
- First, drain your tofu if it's in water, and slice it in half the long way if it's in a single cake. Wrap it up in a bunch of paper towels, or a tea cloth, and put it on a plate. Put a heavy something on top (I use a calphalon sauce pot with the steamer insert) - this presses extra water out of the tofu. Let that sit while you prep the veggies.
- Chop the onion and bell pepper into a smallish uniform chop. Mince the garlic. Now crumble the tofu into a bowl - use your hands. Well, unwrap it first of course. I like to leave it in larger chunks (say, 1") as they will break down a bit more when you cook them. Stir in the ground cumin, turmeric, yeast, and chili powder. Add a pinch of salt and a couple of grinds of pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet - when it is hot add the onion and whole cumin seed. Saute until the onion is just clear, then add the peppers and garlic. Add the tomatoes. Saute a couple more minutes then add in the tofu mixture. Turn the heat up just a little and cook until the whole mixture is hot, this will only take a few minutes.
- Serve with salsa - and seriously - enjoy, embrace the tofu - it's delish!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls