If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my favorite recipe for rice pudding. It's delicate and not too sweet. My friend Purnima showed me how to make it one Thanksgiving but it scorched on the bottom (I still loved it but she didn't think it was up to par) and I haven't tried it again until inspired by this contest. I have acquired a stove with a slow burner and this time, there was a little milk stuck to the bottom but no scorch. Try it when you have a little time to watch it. - luvcookbooks
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Basmati rice
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons raw unsalted pistachios
- dusting cinnamon
- Pour milk into wide saucepan and add the rice. Crush the cardamom pods lightly in a mortar andpestle and add to the rice and milk. Bring slowly to barely a boil, and then turn down to maintain a simmer. The milk will steam and tiny bubbles will appear around the edges and sometimes in the middle. A skin may form on the top. Keep stirring occasionally and keep a close eye on the heat so it's still bubbling but doesn't boil or scorch. Cook down to 2 cups. It will take forever, up to an hour and forty five minutes depending on how cautious you are. When it is ready, it will start to resist the spoon a bit.
- Take the cream off the heat and stir in the sugar. Sliver most of the pistachios and stir in. Then ladle the mixture into a shallow container or single cups. As you ladle, pick out the cardamom pods (sometimes you have to taste them to be sure they aren't pistachios). Dust cinnamon lightly over the top (it is worth buying Saigon cinnamon for this dish). Strew over the reserved slivered pistachio nuts. Serve warm or cold with hot coffee or tea and fruit.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Behind the scenes.