If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These cardamom rolls were inspired by a cinnamon rolls recipe that I really love from the wonderful White on Rice blog (http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/cinnamon-rolls/). I adore cardamom but wasn't 100% sure it would work in this context; I ended up completely loving these, though. I might love them even more than the original cinnamon rolls (and that means I love then a lot). - WinnieAb
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- 5 cardamom pods -I used green cardamom pods
- 1 1/2 packages (4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1/4 cup organic butter, melted -use 1/2 cup for a richer dough
- 1 egg, preferably organic and free-range
- 2 teaspoons orange zest- I used organic blood orange
- 3 cups organic bread flour
- 1/4 cup organic butter, melted (for the filling)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (for the filling)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cardamom (for the filling)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest- I used organic blood orange (for the filling)
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar (for the icing)
- 1/4 cup organic half and half (for the icing)
- Heat the milk to just before boiling. Turn off the heat and add the cardamom pods. Allow to infuse for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the cardamom pods out and check the temperature of the milk. You want it at 110 degrees F., so cool it a little more or warm it again so it's this temperature.
- In a large bowl, add the warm milk to the yeast, sugar, melted butter, egg, and orange zest. Mix well. Add the flour, 1 cup at a time, until the dough is soft, but not sticky (this can be done by hand or in an electric mixer with the dough attachment). Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for several minutes, adding a bit more flour, if necessary.
- Place dough ball in a bowl and cover with a wet towel (or plastic wrap). Allow to rise in a warm place until approximately doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down and knead for a minute or two, then place on a floured surface and roll out into a rectangle approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Melt the butter and mix with the light brown sugar, ground cardamom, and orange zest for the filling. Spread this out over the rolled out dough.
- Starting with the long side closest to you, roll the dough into a log, then slice into 10-12 even-sized rolls.
- Butter your baking dish(es) and place the cardamom rolls inside. I used 2 round pie dishes, with 5-6 rolls in each one, but you could also use a larger rectangular baking dish. Allow to rise for 30-45 minutes in a warm place. Toward the end of the rising time, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the cardamom rolls in your preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until fragrant and golden brown. Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- While the rolls are cooling, combine the powdered sugar and the half and half and mix until smooth. Pour the icing over the cardamom rolls before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom