Author Notes: I actually set out this week to fancy up the basic, bare-bones carrot halwa I've enjoyed since I first had this Indian desert. I tried to make it into a soufflé, ice cream, and custard. While my attempts weren't terrible, they only detracted from the magical marriage of creamy milk and sweet carrots accented by cardamom I had started out with. - prettyPeas
- 6 carrots
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Peel and grate carrots.
- Heat carrots, milk, cardamom, and butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until milk is nearly evaporated, about 50 minutes.
- Add sugar and cook an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure mixture does not stick to bottom.
- Remove cardamom pods, if you can find them. Turn out into a large, flat container. Allow to cool until warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom