If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My inspiration for creating this soup was LiztheChef's Creamy Carrot-Ginger Soup. It was my first carrot soup ever and I loved it. I highly recommend it. Then I wondered how I had gotten to this stage of my life and just now trying carrot soup. So I started to play with different flavor combinations. I've been experimenting with coconut milk lately, so that became a key flavor component for the experiments. I recently had cucumbers with a coconut milk - Thai green curry sauce, so in went the Thai green curry. It needed a little acid in the end, so enter lime juice. Result: if they serve carrot soup in Bali, this is what it might taste like. - ChezSuzanne —TheWimpyVegetarian
Food52 Review: ChezSuzanne has created a delicious soup with sunny tropical flavors. I loved how the recipe takes a few supermarket ingredients and combines them to create a harmonious dish that is simple enough for lunch yet sophisticated enough for a dinner party. The carrots infuse the soup with a vibrant color and an earthy sweetness. The lime adds a bright splash of citrus, the curry paste gives a jolt of heat, and a small amount of coconut milk and brown sugar amp up the sweetness just a notch. The resulting dish is smooth and creamy, but not too rich; bursting with flavor, but not at all heavy. Delicious! I look forward to making this soup again. —cookinginvictoria
- 2-3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/8" thick disks
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 5 cups freshly made vegetable broth
- 8 ounces russet potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a pot large enough to cook the soup. Add the carrots, celery, onion and ginger and toss well until coated with the oil. Saute until starting to soften, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the veggie stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes and add the potatoes. Simmer for another 5 minutes or until the veggies are all tender.
- Put the soup into a blender in batches and puree until completely smooth. Pour back into a pot and add the brown sugar, coconut milk, green curry and lime. Add the salt to taste and white pepper.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe