If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I created this soup recipe as an antidote to the end of winter blahs. It's colorful, fragrant, and spicy with an appealing texture. Serve it with a squeeze of lime juice and a sprig of cilantro. - Fairmount_market - Fairmount_market
Food52 Review: What a perfect way to take the chill off a wintery day—a flavorful bowl of goodness that will make you feel like you’ve just had a delicious musical experience. A food processor minimizes the prep work, making it possible to have dinner on the table in about one hour. The toasty spices harmonize with perfect pitch, and the ginger and cayenne create just the right amount of heat in a beautiful chorus of flavors. The brown rice and shredded vegetables create a satisfying, hearty texture, while the cilantro and a good squirt of lime juice at the end hit just the rights notes of freshness and acidity. This is one soup that is sure to have you singing its praises. - SwoonMySpoon
- 4 carrots
- 3 parsnips
- 2 inch chunk of ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil such as grape seed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 15 ounces coconut milk (1 can)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 lime
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Peel the carrots, parsnips, and ginger. Shred them in a food processor. Mince the garlic.
- Over medium heat, warm the oil in a soup pot. Stir in the brown rice and saute for a couple minutes until it starts to smell toasted. Add in the spices and garlic and saute for about a minute. Add the shredded vegetables and ginger and stir for a few minutes until well coated with spices. Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer, then turn the heat to low and cook, partially covered, for 45 minutes to an hour until the rice is soft. Adjust seasonings.
- Serve the soup with lime slices and cilantro leaves for garnish.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe