If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I decided to make a second version of the key lime pudding, this time not based upon the pie filling direction. I wanted to make an egg-based version that would be healthier and fresher tasting. I combined Greek yogurt and honey with a touch of Meyer lemon zest for this version to create a more rustic pudding. I bet this would also make a great ice cream/frozen yogurt. - Sagegreen —Sagegreen
Food52 Review: Key lime pie without the sugar hangover! This pudding is rich and satisfying while remaining light and tangy. Sagegreen's use of honey, Greek yogurt and key lime and Meyer lemon zest creates a wonderful balance. This is my first time making pudding and the recipe was very easy to follow and presents beautifully. I had neighbors come over and taste this and they were blown away! Well done, Sagegreen. —SKK
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh key lime juice
- 6-7 tablespoons honey, milkweed, linden or chestnut are nice (to taste)
- 1-2 tablespoons key lime zest, to your taste
- 1-2 teaspoons Meyer lemon zest, to your taste
- 12 ounces thick Greek yogurt
- garnish of cream fraiche, Greek yogurt or whipped cream
- wheels of key limes for garnish
- optional additional garnishes for variation include caraway (or fennel seeds), key lime zest or chestnut maple tuile (see recipe on this site)
- First off, be sure to wash your key limes in water before you use them. Next, whisk the egg yolks together with the honey and lime juice.
- In a heavy sauce pan bring the mix almost to a boil, stirring constantly. You don't want your yolks to curdle. Take off the heat and completely whisk in the yogurt. Slowly simmer until heated. Mix in the zest. Taste for sweetness and tartness. Adjust with more honey or zest if needed.
- Pour into dishes. Serve either warm or chilled. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt, creme fraiche, or whipped cream, and a twisted key lime wheel. For variation, toast caraway seeds in a pan before sprinkling some on top with a bit more key lime zest. This is what is featured in my photographs. Or serve with a tuile, like my chestnut maple version.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding
Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
Independence Day, the frozen dessert way
Ice cream, cookies, and independence.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
This pasta's mint to be.