If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love sandwiches, as well as the combo of sweet and savory. One of my favorite sandwiches is based on the Chicken Charlie- a grilled chicken and pear sandwich- that a cafe in my hometown served when I was younger. My version of the Chicken Charlie has balsamic grilled chicken, caramelized onions, fruity-nutty blue cheese spread, and sauteed figs on chewy ciabatta bread. It's the perfect fall sandwich! (Fresh figs and dried figs both work great- use dried for a chewier texture). —Loves Food Loves to Eat
Serves 2-4 sandwiches
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion- sliced in rings
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon peach or apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 6-8 figs- stemmed and halved
- 1 ciabatta loaf (or 2-4 rolls)
- spring greens salad mix
- 1 crisp pear- thinly sliced
- For Chicken: Mix together worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper- Marinate chicken in mixture for up to an hour. Grill chicken on medium-high grill until cooked. Slice thin.
- For Carmelized Onions: Heat 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil with 1 tablespoon butter. Add onions and cook over medium heat until golden and delicious. Remove onions from pan but leave remaining oil/butter on medium heat for figs.
- For Figs: Add figs face down to hot oil/butter mixture. sautee until golden and chewy (1-2 minutes).
- For Spread: Stir together cream cheese, blue cheese, nuts, jam, rosemary and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Assembly: Heavily spread the cream cheese mixture over both sides of bread. Pile high with chicken, pears, onions, and figs. ENJOY!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fig Recipe
These Make the Grade
Fruit Roll-Ups aren't just for elementary school kids
Fruit roll-ups are baaaaack (and homemade)!
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).