If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love to make traditional Jewish tzimmes with carrots, onions, dried fruit, and brisket. Sometimes I make a similar vegetarian version. This unique tzimmes dish was originally created by my daughter, Rebecca on a family weekend at the Oregon Coast. She added pepper jelly to the sauce which gave it a great kick. For thisTwin Cities version I have adapted her recipe which used some seasonal ingredients like spring onions and green garlic, as well as a grapefruit syrup, using my readily available ingredients. She used no dried fruit, just fresh apples.
She used a peach pepper jelly, but I used a favorite green pepper jelly. Because of the kick, I added a dollop of crème fraiche at the end, and liked the tangy creaminess it added. This is NOT your grandmothers Tzimmes, but it is very tasty!
- 3 large carrots, scrubbed and cut in 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 yam or sweet potato, scrubbed (and peeled if desired) and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 large leek, cleaned, white and light green part only, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 6 scallions, cleaned and trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, white and green parts
- 2 large apples, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 3 tablespoons Maple syrup, amber
- 3-4 tablespoons your favorite peppr jelly
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche (optional)
- Mix vegetables and apple chunks in a greased casserole dish.
- Mix until smooth and blended in a saucepan over low heat: butter, maple syrup, orange and lemon zest, orange and lemon juice and pepper jelly.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables, mix together to distribute evenly, sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 400 degrees. For 1 hour and 15-20 minutes, until vegetable are very tender and the sauce has browned. Toss to redistribute the sauce a few times during baking.
- Top with crème fraiche if desired and serve!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
Express your gratitude for sunshine.
Good day, sunshine.
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
12 Recipes for a Stress-Free Week of Cooking