Author Notes: I know, I know...another Carrot Cake recipe...but trust me, you will crave this cake after you have tasted it. This is back to the basics - no raisins or nuts inside to spoil the party - just sweet carrots, delicious spices and perfect cream cheese frosting. Enjoy! - CarolineStoll
Makes one big beautiful cake!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 6 medium carrots, grated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 extra large eggs
- 6 ounces plain greek yogurt
- 6 ounces vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour two 8-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper and set aside.
- Grate the carrots on a medium grate, and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt and mix with the carrots to coat.
- Mix together sugar, brown sugar, eggs, yogurt, and oil. Pour this mixture into the carrot mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared cake pans and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325 and bake for another 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pans, then remove and cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 ounces cream cheese (2 8oz packages)
- 1 stick butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- walnuts for decoration
- Allow cream cheese and butter to come to room temperature. In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese and butter until just mixed. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Add the sifted powdered sugar in four batches and beat until smooth, being careful not to whip the frosting.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe