If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my Mother's and Grandmother's recipe for a simple side salad. Noted optional ingredients have been added for family member preferences. There's nothing like it on a warm summer evening straight from the refrigerator or plated on top of ice to keep it cool. —Buzzwami
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 pound (453g) carrots julienned (matchstick size), or thinly sliced on Mandoline
- 1/4 cup (60g) Rice Wine Vinegar (optional White or Red Wine Vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar or Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Dill, dried (1/2 tsp. fresh)
- pinches Mint, dried OPTIONAL
- 1/4 Sweet Onion, OPTIONAL, thinly sliced on Mandoline
- 1/8 cup (20g) Dried Cranberries OPTIONAL
- Peel carrots and julienne into matchstick size pieces, put in bowl. If you like the tang of onion or the sweetness of dried cranberries, add to carrots.
- Combine dressing ingredients and add to cucumbers. A optional pinch of mint gives it a slight Mediterranean flavor.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour. Stir periodically. The longer it sits the more the salt will pull the water from the carrots and soften them, day ahead is okay.
- Serve cool, keep cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
These Figs are Feeling a Little Tart
Learn to love fruit with chocolate
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
The best donuts—ever.
We've got the summer blues.
How we do a Genius dinner party for 30.
A better basket.