Author Notes: This is my Mother's and Grandmother's recipe for a simple side salad. Noted optional ingredients have been added for family member preferences. There's nothing like it on a warm summer evening straight from the refrigerator or plated on top of ice to keep it cool. - Buzzwami
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 pound (453g) carrots julienned (matchstick size), or thinly sliced on Mandoline
- 1/4 cup (60g) Rice Wine Vinegar (optional White or Red Wine Vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar or Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Dill, dried (1/2 tsp. fresh)
- pinches Mint, dried OPTIONAL
- 1/4 Sweet Onion, OPTIONAL, thinly sliced on Mandoline
- 1/8 cup (20g) Dried Cranberries OPTIONAL
- Peel carrots and julienne into matchstick size pieces, put in bowl. If you like the tang of onion or the sweetness of dried cranberries, add to carrots.
- Combine dressing ingredients and add to cucumbers. A optional pinch of mint gives it a slight Mediterranean flavor.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour. Stir periodically. The longer it sits the more the salt will pull the water from the carrots and soften them, day ahead is okay.
- Serve cool, keep cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe