If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Recently, I've been experimenting with vegan cooking, trying to see what this is all about and what flavors I had to work with. I had my heart set on a Carrot Ginger soup, but with the addition of coconut milk; my inspiration was the Sweet Dreams Soup from the "Blue Moon Cookbook", which I found at Epicurious. However, I completely revamped the original recipe, chopping a 3-4 inch slice of ginger, adding curry powder, mixing in a can of coconut milk and lots of potatoes, onion and a garlicky paste (I boiled my garlic and then crushed it). Topping it all off with chives, I was more than satisfied; it was both sweet and spicy, not to mention slightly creamy and nutty thanks to the coconut milk. - dusty516
- 3-4 small potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 piece ginger (3 inches or more), peeled and chopped
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon (vegan-friendly preferred)
- 4-5 cloves boiled or roasted garlic, crushed into a paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, plus more (1/2 tsp.) at the end
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (add only if needed; the bouillon should be enough)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 2-4 teaspoons chopped chives for garnish
- Boil the potatoes in 3-4 cups of water until tender, about 20 minutes. When the water comes to a boil, add the bouillon and stir to help it dissolve. Once the potatoes are tender. turn the burner off and let them sit in the pot.
- In the meantime, pour the oil into a soup pot on medium heat. Add the onion, half the carrots, the ginger, nutmeg, curry powder, salt (if using additional salt), and pepper. Sauté for 6-8 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add the remaining carrots, the cooked potato, and the broth. Add 1 additional cup water, and stir. At this stage, you can also add the crushed garlic, which will resemble a paste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the carrots are tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, blend 3 ladlefuls of the soup.
- Return the blended soup to the pot with the remaining soup (if you prefer a fully pureed soup, puree it all; if, like most Americans, you like "stuff" in your soup, puree less for more texture).
- Then, stir in the coconut milk (make sure to shake the can of coconut milk before opening it; also, stir it before adding it to the soup to break it up).
- Add more curry powder, salt and/or pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the chopped chives. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.