Author Notes: Never have been one to leave well enough alone (see: 'What's Up Doc' Carrot Vichyssoise), here's another recipe inspired by my favorite Looney Tunes character, who was fond of saying: "Carrot are divine! You get a dozen for a dime! It's maaaaa-gic!"
(Bugs Bunny graphic courtesy Warner Bros. Entertainment) - wssmom
- 1 pound skinny carrots, scraped and cut into little cubes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each: cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, paprika (or aleppo pepper, thanks for the introduction, Sagegreen!), and caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- couple cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 14.5 ounce can chickpeas, drained well
- 1 14.5 ounce can chopped tomatoes, juice and all
- 1 tablespoon honey or other sweetener
- water, if needed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Cook the carrots in a small amount of salted water until tender, about 5-7 minutes (more if you cut them bigger).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium saucepan and add the spices and garlic; cook, stirring, over medium-low heat, until the kitchen starts to smell like Rabat or Marrakesh.
- Drain the carrots and stir into the spices along with the tomatoes, the chickpeas, and the honey. Simmer about 15 minutes, adding water if needed; stir in the cilantro, and serve alongside your favorite grain (farro, quinoa, brown rice, etc.)