Author Notes: This recipe is inspired by the addictive carrot salad I had at Underground Kitchen, a fabulous farm-to-table restaurant in Madison, WI. It was so good, so fresh and so light -- the perfect antidote to heavy winter eating! Roasted almonds can easiliy replace the pistachios. - SarahKlein
- 5 large carrots, shaved into ribbons
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta
- 1 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
- Toss the carrot ribbons, parsley and cilantro leaves, rice vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper together until well-combined and glossy. Taste to ensure correct seasonings. Adjust as needed, adding more salt, pepper, vinegar or olive oil.
- Carefully crumble (or dollop, depending on your ricotta's moisture content). Give a gently toss.
- Plate each salad and top with a generous sprinkle of pistachios.
- Note: I use a vegetable peeler or my mandoline to get very fine, long ribbons of carrot. I turn and rotate the carrot as I shave, stopping when I reach the "core."
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe