If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bolognese is one of the most famous dishes in Italy and when I studies in Roma, that is all I ate. But where outside Bologna can one eat a proper Bolognese Ragù these days? Right in your kitchen if you follow my authentic recipe... —AshOnFire
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ounce pancetta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups pureed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 celery stick
- 5 carrots
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup full fat milk or 2%
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- dashes pepper & nutmeg
- Finely chop garlic, onion, carrots and celery and reserve in a small bowl.
- Place your frying pan on medium heat burner and add 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter. Add garlic and onions sauté until evenly browned. Add carrots and celery and continue to sauté over high heat until they start to brown. Add pancetta to this aromatic sauté and mix until nicely cooked. Take mixture off burner and set aside.
- Place another frying pan over a high heat burner and add 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter. Add ground beef and sauté until evenly browned.
- Add back your aromatic mixture to the beef, keeping the temperature on high. Pour white wine into the beef and mix until liquid slightly evaporates. You want to dissolve the delicious bits of burnt meat that stuck to the pan. Basically you can let it evaporate almost entirely.
- Take a large oven-resistant pot with a tight lid and then empty everything you've been cooking into this pot.
- Pour the milk into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the tomatoes and mix.
- Add chicken stock, salt, pepper and nutmeg, cover and simmer for about 3 hours.
- Boil some pasta.
- Once pasta is cooked, add your sauce to pasta and mix all together. Transfer to an oven dish and bake for about 20 minutes in a preheated oven at 350F.
- Top with some cheese and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
Get whisked away.