If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Perfect with afternoon tea or as an after-school snack without the cloyingly sweet cream cheese frosting to ruin little appetites before dinner. Carrots for freshness, spices for warmth and a light coconut glaze to satisfy a sweet tooth. Best of all these cakes can be whipped in one bowl. - foodfanatic —foodfanatic
Food52 Review: Whipping up the base of this recipe was a snap. The delicious cake has just the right touch of cinnamon and ginger with a hint of coconut. The glaze works best if you spoon a glob on top and let the warm cakes do the rest. In the can, the cream of coconut was very thick; I had to place the can in warm water in order to get a stirable consistency. I found that grated, not zested, carrots worked and looked better. These wonders are the size of muffins and are not too sweet, so are easily enjoyed with a morning cup of coffee or as a dessert. —LittleRockLo
For the cakes
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 11/2 cup plus 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tsp milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
For the coconut glaze & decoration
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cream of coconut
- 1 carrot, shredded ( I use a zester )
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Put all the cake ingredients in a bowl and use a wooden spoon to mix until it becomes a smooth batter.
- Place batter into a lightly greased muffin pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Cool.
- Meanwhile combine the powdered sugar and cream of coconut until you have a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Add the zested carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes, until sticky and caramelized. Drain on paper towels.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cakes , place some caramelized carrots on top.
Just Pudding It Out There
Use your melon: make this 3-ingredient, vegan dessert
Pudding melon to the test.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
We give it 8 tentacles up.