Author Notes: I found this recipe in Gourmet magazine a few years back, and it has been a favorite since. - Ausra
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ice-cold water
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups roasted cashews, salted
- 1 cup coconut flakes, sweetened
- 5 ounces dark chocolate
- For the crust: spray 10" tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a food processor.
- Add butter to flour mixture and process until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add ice-cold water to the mixture and blend until dough comes together in a ball.
- Press dough into a prepared tart pan. Chill at least an hour, or overnight.
- Bake the crust in 350oF oven until dry, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- For filling: in a medium sauce pan mix brown sugar, cream, maple syrup and ginger, set over medium-high heat and boil, whisking gently, until sugar dissolves and begins to bubble vigorously, about 8-10 minutes. Mix in cashews and coconut. Cool to room temperature.
- Chop chocolate and warm it up in the microwave until it begins to melt. Take it out of the microwave, stir with a wooden spoon until it melts completely.
- Brush melted chocolate on the inside of the baked crust to coat completely. Reserve remaining melted chocolate for garnish.
- Put the coated crust into the freezer for about 5 minutes, to harden the chocolate.
- Pour filling into the chocolate-coated crust. Bake the tart in 350oC oven for about 35 minutes or until the filling begins to darken and bubbles thickly.
- Transfer tart to a cooling rack and cool completely. Remove the tart from the pan.
- Remelt reserved chocolate in microwave and drizzle it over the tart in a lacy pattern.
- Store tart at room temperature covered with the cake dome.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)