Our Contributing Editor Lindsay-Jean is headed to Maui and Oahu for vacation—a belated 10th-anniversary celebration—next week with her husband. One sun-loving vegetarian and one sun-avoiding red-headed omnivore are depending on your suggestions for how to make the most of their first trip to Hawaii. Is a luau a must-see event or an overrated tourist trap? Is the Road to Hana a trip to paradise or a scary, time-wasting drive?
Where should they go, eat, shop, sit, drink? Things of particular interest:
- Hard-to-find, hidden, locals spots (yes, I know, every tourist asks for these—there are still some secret ones left though, right? I promise not to tell!)
- Whale watching
- Dive bars with killer views and posh bars with killer drinks
- Farmers markets and local produce
- Old stuff and thrift stores
- Running routes and scenic hikes
- Restaurants to capitalize on their temporarily child-free state
- Local specialties not to be missed
Tell us your favorites in the comments below. Mahalo!