Congratulations to SavvyJulie, whose Clementine Pound Cake won this week's contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom, earning her a beautiful Chroma Titanium Spice Grinder from Williams-Sonoma, plus big prizes from Viking, OXO and Tiny Prints, and a spot in the next food52 cookbook!
Q&A with SavvyJulie
- Describe an early food experience that has influenced the way you think about food and/or cooking.
- My dad and I used to make chocolate chip pancakes on the weekends. When the pancakes folded in on themselves when I tried to flip them, we'd try to figure out what they looked like. We ended up with a lot of "lion" and "heart" pancakes at the beginning! It taught me that cooking is meant to be fun and to make the most of your mistakes.
- What's your least favorite food?
- Olives. I've tried them again and again, but to no avail...I still don't like them!
- Describe your most spectacular kitchen disaster.
- I took up canning last summer, and my first attempt at jelly was an utter flop. I let the jelly cook for too long, and it was rock-hard once it cooled! You can imagine how fun those jars were to clean out...
- What is your idea of comfort food?
- Warm carbs. Fresh bagels, macaroni and cheese... mmmm.
Apron or no apron?
- What's your favorite food-related scene in a movie?
- The scene in One Fine Day with Michelle Pfeiffer's character and the kids where they are all eating at Serendipity and sharing sundaes and frozen hot chocolate.
- If you could make a show-stopping dinner for one person, living or dead, who would it be?
- My gramma on my mom's side of the family.
- You prefer to cook: a. alone, b. with others, c. it depends on your mood
- a. Alone. (usually)
- When it comes to tidying up, you usually: a. clean as you cook, b. do all the dishes once you've finished cooking, c. leave the kitchen a shambles for your spouse/roommate/kids to clean.
- I try for "a. clean as you cook," but it often ends up being more like "c. leave the kitchen a shambles for your spouse to clean"....