If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Congratulations to SavvyJulie, whose Clementine Pound Cake won this week's contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom, earning her a beautiful Chroma Titanium Spice Grinder from Williams-Sonoma, plus big prizes from Viking, OXO and Tiny Prints, and a spot in the next food52 cookbook!
Q&A with SavvyJulie
- Describe an early food experience that has influenced the way you think about food and/or cooking.
- My dad and I used to make chocolate chip pancakes on the weekends. When the pancakes folded in on themselves when I tried to flip them, we'd try to figure out what they looked like. We ended up with a lot of "lion" and "heart" pancakes at the beginning! It taught me that cooking is meant to be fun and to make the most of your mistakes.
- What's your least favorite food?
- Olives. I've tried them again and again, but to no avail...I still don't like them!
- Describe your most spectacular kitchen disaster.
- I took up canning last summer, and my first attempt at jelly was an utter flop. I let the jelly cook for too long, and it was rock-hard once it cooled! You can imagine how fun those jars were to clean out...
- What is your idea of comfort food?
- Warm carbs. Fresh bagels, macaroni and cheese... mmmm.
- What's your favorite food-related scene in a movie?
- The scene in One Fine Day with Michelle Pfeiffer's character and the kids where they are all eating at Serendipity and sharing sundaes and frozen hot chocolate.
- If you could make a show-stopping dinner for one person, living or dead, who would it be?
- My gramma on my mom's side of the family.
- You prefer to cook: a. alone, b. with others, c. it depends on your mood
- a. Alone. (usually)
- When it comes to tidying up, you usually: a. clean as you cook, b. do all the dishes once you've finished cooking, c. leave the kitchen a shambles for your spouse/roommate/kids to clean.
- I try for "a. clean as you cook," but it often ends up being more like "c. leave the kitchen a shambles for your spouse to clean"....
- SavvyJulie at work in the kitchen; the lovely Chroma Titanium Spice Grinder she's won from Williams-Sonoma!