Congratulations to SLD, whose Raspberry Custard Cups won this week's contest for Your Best Raspberries, earning her big prizes from Viking, OXO and Tiny Prints, and a spot in the next food52 cookbook!
Q&A with SLD
- Describe an early food experience that has influenced the way you think about food and/or cooking.
- I cherish memories of my Dad bent over the stove making Chicken-Fried Steak as only he could make it.
- What's your least favorite food?
- What is the best thing you've made so far this year?
- I found an old Chicken Croquette recipe, added a few things and made a dill sauce to go with it. Delicious!
- Describe your most spectacular kitchen disaster.
- My in-laws were coming over for dinner (before we were married) and I took the jello mold apart too soon and jello ended up all over the counter and floor. I think that may have been the last time I used a jello mold...
- What is your idea of comfort food?
- Home-made chili topped with sour cream and a little fresh onion, served with a hot roll or fresh bread.
- What's your favorite food-related scene in a movie?
When Harry met Sally -- the restaurant scene still makes me laugh.
- If you could make a show-stopping dinner for one person, living or dead, who would it be?
- My mom
- You prefer to cook: a. alone, b. with others, c. it depends on your mood
- C, except when making Christmas cookies, which I enjoy doing with my daughter.
- When it comes to tidying up, you usually: a. clean as you cook, b. do all the dishes once you've finished cooking, c. leave the kitchen a shambles for your spouse/roommate/kids to clean.
- I try to do "a" but end up doing "b".
I am married to a great guy and together we have an amazing daughter. I have always loved to cook and was encouraged by my mother to get creative in the kitchen, and to always have fun. I have enjoyed passing on my love of cooking and baking to my own daughter, who is now a young adult and becoming quite creative in her own kitchen.
See what other Food52 readers are saying.