🔕 🔔

I saw your piece on the cutting boards. I bought an Epicurean board from William Sonoma, but honestly I'm not in love with it. The board makes a terribly loud sound and doesnt cut as smooth as that of a wood board. What have you heard about the Epicurean boards? Are they bad for my knives?

asked by Danny Mallory about 6 years ago

No, they're not bad for your knives. Bamboo boards, yes, because they're a grass, not wood. But Epicurean boards are nice because they don't develop grooves as both plastic (yuk) and wood (still my favorite) can. And they're dishwasher safe. It takes a bit to get used to their response to a knife, but try spreading a kitchen towel underneath it. That will keep it from moving around, and will also must the sound of the knife on it.

No, they're not bad for your knives. Bamboo boards, yes, because they're a grass, not wood. But Epicurean boards are nice because they don't develop grooves as both plastic (yuk) and wood (still my favorite) can. And they're dishwasher safe. It takes a bit to get used to their response to a knife, but try spreading a kitchen towel underneath it. That will keep it from moving around, and will also mute the sound of the knife on it.

The difference between response 1 and 2 is that "must" was exchanged for "mute".

Great, thanks for your advice! It it strange though that the Epicurean doesnt develop grooves, I would think that anything that doesnt mean that its a rough surface - but then again, I dont know that much about boards. I see that you mentioned that wood is your favorite. If I may ask, what kind do you have and prefer? And what are some disadvantages of yours?

advantages/disadvantages*

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Boulangere, I've been using a bamboo board.. Will it dull my new Viking knife? Never gave a second thought to the nuances of cutting boards..

If you cut across the grain, yes, it will. If you cut with the grain, not too much. Bamboo is a grass, not a wood. Its fibers are, oddly, tougher on knives than wood.

boulangere, what type of wood do you use and prefer? Advantages/disadvantages? Just trying to get an idea of what others are using. Thanks for the FYI sexyLAMBCHOPx!

I'm not crazy about Epicurean either but I agree with Boulangere on a preference for wood. I kind of like Chinese style Ironwood boards. Big heavy and cheap. Somewhat high maintenance
.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I love my epicurean board(s), because they can br placed in the dishwasher & are light. My workhorse wood board (forgot the wood used) came from Simon Pearce, easy to clean and maintain as well. If you continue to use your new board and not thrilled, Williams-Sonoma will take it back for an exhnage or refund - one of the advantages of shopping at WS.