🔕 🔔

Where can I find malt powder and what is it?

asked by Nancy Luckhurst almost 6 years ago

Malted barley is used to make beer, malt vinegar and other things. In my opinion, its highest and best use is achieved when it's added to a vanilla milkshake to make a vanilla malt -- YUM -- though I'm sure your cookies will be delicious too. For baking, I'm pretty sure you want diastatic malt powder or malt flour. I know they sell it at Whole Foods, and probably at other grocery stores as well.

Thank you so much! I'm headed to Whole Foods!

Be sure to buy enough to make some vanilla malts. Seriously!

Aec94198 36e8 4817 b5cc 9eac7a24063b  twittah

I use diastatic malt powder when baking bread--it helps bread rise better. I order it from King Arthur Flour. They also sell non-diastatic malt powder, and that's most often used for making bagels. The difference between the two has something to do with enzymes--diastatic has them, and non-diastatic doesn't.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

...and you can make your own by sprouting grain (must be whole, esp. barley), drying it, grinding it. I did it once, following an article in Prevention magazine, in the 70's,
Carnation used to sell malt powder that was intended for sodas. I don't think it's available now.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

My mother used to make us that Carnation malted milk growing up. Haven't seen that product in years.

15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4

I've actually found, and bought Carnation malt powder at Target in Brooklyn. I've seen plain and chocolate malt ovaltine powder around too.

I adore malt in blondies and paired with chocolate in baked goods. So yummy.