Where can I find malt powder and what is it?

asked by Nancy Luckhurst over 6 years ago

georgeatplay

Malted barley is used to make beer, malt vinegar and other things. In my opinion, its highest and best use is achieved when it's added to a vanilla milkshake to make a vanilla malt -- YUM -- though I'm sure your cookies will be delicious too. For baking, I'm pretty sure you want diastatic malt powder or malt flour. I know they sell it at Whole Foods, and probably at other grocery stores as well.

Nancy Luckhurst

Thank you so much! I'm headed to Whole Foods!

georgeatplay

Be sure to buy enough to make some vanilla malts. Seriously!

Brianne Du Clos

I use diastatic malt powder when baking bread--it helps bread rise better. I order it from King Arthur Flour. They also sell non-diastatic malt powder, and that's most often used for making bagels. The difference between the two has something to do with enzymes--diastatic has them, and non-diastatic doesn't.

...and you can make your own by sprouting grain (must be whole, esp. barley), drying it, grinding it. I did it once, following an article in Prevention magazine, in the 70's,
Carnation used to sell malt powder that was intended for sodas. I don't think it's available now.

My mother used to make us that Carnation malted milk growing up. Haven't seen that product in years.

nomnivorous

I've actually found, and bought Carnation malt powder at Target in Brooklyn. I've seen plain and chocolate malt ovaltine powder around too.

I adore malt in blondies and paired with chocolate in baked goods. So yummy.