Our NYC Holiday Market opens today at noon! Come and see us »
🔕 🔔

Do you use Eat Your Books?

Over on the Food52 Top 100 thread, peartart put in a plug for Eat Your Books, a service that let's you plug in a few ingredients and get a list of recipes from books that you already have sitting on your shelf. A great idea, but it costs $25/year. Is it worth it?

asked almost 5 years ago
C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I've been using Eat Your Books for over a year, and I'm thrilled -- It has brought back to life cookbooks that were deep in the archeological levels. I have over 400 books, and was feeling that I had lost control. I would sit down with a stack of books, go through indices, looking for something I wanted to make. Now I get a list of all the books I own that have the relevant recipes, with an ingredient list. It also includes blogs (food52 is there) and magazines. The indexed list increases daily.
They have a free trial, I believe, where you can enter 5 of your books to see how it works. Worth trying.
There is a process of entering your books, but I found that was a good opportunity to revisit my books, and do a little sorting out. It has actually helped curb my buying since I can really see what I have now.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

I use it, also. If you have a lot of cookbooks, it's perfect. The search engine is good; faster than you can say "roasted fennel," you've got a list of all of the options, including your own cookbooks and any blogs/sites/magazines you'd like to search, including Food52.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I use it, too, and I really like it. I had gone on a cookbook clean-out a few years ago, so I have a pretty manageable number, but Eat Your Books helps me narrow the search to just a few. I love that they are starting to include blogs, too; especially since the Google search engine isn't reliable in that arena.

good food blog search -- http://foodblogsearch.com...

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Okay, I guess I'm going to take the plunge. Like susan g, I have 100s and 100s of cookbooks. Is the best way to add them sitting with a laptop close to the shelves and entering the cookbook names? Or (hoping for a little miracle here), is there something faster?

Hi Greenstuff - the fastest way if you already have the books cataloged anywhere like Good Reads is to import the ISBNs all at once using Import Books. If they aren't cataloged the next fastest way is to beg, borrow or steal a barcode scanner - then you just click along the barcodes on the back of your books into Import Books. Amazon does sell quite cheap scanners and you can also get apps for your phone.

If neither of those work for you then one quick way is to sort the EYB Library by popularity then filter by whatever shelf you are on. E.g. if you are entering your Italian cookbooks, enter Italian in the filter Ethnicity, you will see all the top Italian books and just click down the blue button +Bookshelf for all the ones you own. Any ones you don't add by this method, you can find by searching by title or author.

You only have to do the book adding once then when it's done you will have thousands of recipes you can search through in seconds. And of course you can add the lovely recipes on Food52 to your Bookshelf as well as the Food52 Cookbook and the Holiday app (we index everything that Food52 produces).

Thanks! The little miracle I was hoping for! I can see this is going to be a fun project.

Yes EYB is worth the money! It is a great way to get organized and list your books and where they are stored in your house and then it is easier to find them and use them.

About the indexing process -- I did them all by going along the shelves in 5 different rooms (and the boxes in the garage, the piles in my bedroom, etc).. As I see from Jane above, I could use technology more to speed up the process but I actually found it an interesting process, similar to stroking my 'favorite things.''

I am a huge fan of Eat Your Books and would heartily recommend it. It makes finding any recipes in your own books so quick and simple that it will give a whole new lease of life to your existing books. I joined up as a life member when it first began and think it was the best money I've spent on my cookbooks.
Just do it!

An update! Four days later, I have about 400 books on my "bookshelf," about one quarter of which have been "indexed." Even with the fairly low percentage, there's a lot of information for me to play with. I've learned a lot:

Sscanning: For some very new books, you can point at any page, and the scanner recognizes the book! On the other hand, I've been reminded that barcodes are actually somewhat recent.

ISBNs: I'm glad I didn't enter ISBNs for the books that couldn't be scanned, because I was surprised at how often my book had a different ISBN than any that were listed. Better to enter a key word from the title or author.

Books included in the list: I was occasionally surprised by books that were included in the library and occasionally surprised by some that weren't, mostly older books by well-known authors.

As others have pointed out, the great value seems to be in the indexing job done by EYB--much better than the ones in the real books. I'm having a lot of fun!

And another benefit! My book shelves have been dusted!