🔕 🔔

Should you wash chicken before you cook it?

asked by KitchenGadgets over 4 years ago
Wholefoods user icon

I presonally clean, and devein all of my meat with vinegar or lime juice to disinfect. If cleaned in a bowl, simply wash your bowl and sink with disinfectant after having cleaned your meat.

Of course you should take the opportunity to rinse (as wash implies soap) your chicken., That way you can remove any pin feathers, excess skin, blood or blemishes from the bird. And Josh, bacteria are EVERYWHERE; so if that's your biggest concern then its time to move somewhere that they don't exist. Oh wait, that place doesn't exist either!

33f00148 b116 47f0 8789 76ae3bdb2bbb  photo 1

General advice these days is not to wash your chicken because just as joshheller says, it spreads any potential bacteria around your sink and kitchen. Bacteria will be killed as long as you cook your chicken completely. And if you get your chicken at a reputable place like a local butcher shop and preferably organic, you're less likely to have any problems.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

It's true that there once was a time when rinsing your chicken before cooking was common practice. That's changing. More and more, the general advice is that you should not rinse meat before cooking for multiple reasons. One is that, yes, you can spread bacteria all over your sink and countertop by rinsing it and, two, dry skin is important when you want a crispy final result, like with roast chicken. And yes, if you cook the chicken properly, the bacteria will die. Of course, if you kill your own chickens, you'll want to rinse those ;)
As a compromise, you could rinse the chicken carefully (washing up your sink area afterward), dry it thoroughly with paper towels, and leave it uncovered in the fridge for several hours to dry out the skin before cooking. This way, if you feel the need to rinse the chicken, you can still have crisp skin.

156812a3 a557 498e 933c 7533fa51f6e3  dsc02229

I always rinsed chicken but the advice here (UK) now is not to do that as you are more likely to get food poisoning from bacteria filled splashes than the bacteria on the chicken which will be cooked away at high temperatures.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer. It makes more sense now knowing what the logic is behind washing and not washing the chicken. I like the idea of using vinegar or lime juice to clean the meat, think I'll be trying that.