A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS. 50 UNDER $50. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

What is the best way to cook quail? And also any recs on seasoning?

Poultry

asked by Abbie over 4 years ago

In Vietnam we fry it in really really hot oil (so that the skin is crispy and it cooks through quick). I usually just roast it in the oven, basting butter and seasoning. Five spice + fish sauce/Chinese soy sauce + onion never fail (Chinese soy sauce: Maggi; not the usual Kinkoman Japanese soy sauce, althought hat would do, too. Chinese/Vietnamese and Japanese soy sauce taste different to me).

(if you don't have five spice powder, the components are usually star anise, cinnamon, clove, pepper, fennel. Usually just star anise and cinnamon would do!)

Wholefoods user icon

It's probably easiest to buy semi-boneless quail and pan roast- sear the breast side down in hot oil for 5 minutes, flip it, and finish in the oven at 400 degrees for another 3-5 minuites. Ideally you get the breast cooked medium, about 120 degrees internal. Then you can season any way you like. I've also stuffed ther cavities with fruit, say a fresh fig wrapped in prosciutto, wrapped the bopdy with a strip of foil to make it stand up (like a trussed mini-chicken), seared in hot oil, and roasted in the oven. Yum!

C8ffa92e 3766 46b4 8290 dbef5c382a03  james joyce 1

I agree with Chef Arik. Something good in the cavity, herbs, citrus or whatever. You might want to wrap the bird itself in prosciutto or bacon. Otherwise follow his advice.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Make a "looing" sauce. Soy sauce, sugar, water, sake, oranges, ginger, star anise. With enough liquid to cover the birds. Remove the birds, bring to a boil..put the birds back in cover the pot, turn it off and wait 20 mins. Remove the birds and let the skin dry (about an hour). Then dunk in hot oil for a bit---they're already cooked and flavored; you just want to crisp up the skin.
Use a length of kitchen twine under the wings to hang them up after the simmer do they dip dry.