🔕 🔔

substitution

what can i use instead of milk for meatloaf to soften the breadcrumbs

asked by whyo4 about 5 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Stock or broth. Water if you don't have either.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

The good news is that I've never heard of needing to soften breadcrumbs -- rather, the breadcrumbs are usually added to absorb excess moisture. What is your recipe? Personally, I use dry oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs (with great results!). So, go ahead -- add the breadcrumbs and don't moisten ahead of time. :)

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Wet breadcrumbs help keep some moistness in meatloaf (or meatballs.) If I'm not using milk, I use broth. I agree with HLA - water would do, too.

I've used ground oatmeal in some recipes not calling for liquid. Came out tasty!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Along with the above mentioned stock , I would also suggest tomato juice.

This is what I love about this site -- I had NO IDEA! I make meatloaf "the way my mother always did", and she never (therefore, I never) softened breadcrumbs. As mentioned, I usually use oatmeal, not breadcrumbs, but always understood either was added to absorb moisture. Can't say I've ever noticed "tough" meat (to the contrary) but now that I've learned and absorbed (ahem, small pun intended!), I'll have to try it with a "panade". Interesting. The family recipe does call for both eggs and ketchup, FWIW.

00c46d23 3575 4258 98ff 95bf01356ea4  stringio

I always love chef Ono's responses. I have learned so much from him/her

My mom's meat loaf used oatmeal. http://www.quakeroats.com... This recipe uses eggs and tomato juice. I still make it this way but tend to add garlic and basalmic vinegar to it too.

Ono is right. After making meatloaf with "filler" bread crumbs for about 30 years, a nice old Italian gentleman told me to soften the bread crumbs before adding into meatballs. They came out soft like cotton. Ever since then I have softened the bread crumbs before making meatloaf or meatballs. I use either skim milk or chicken stock.