substitution

what can i use instead of milk for meatloaf to soften the breadcrumbs

asked by whyo4 about 6 years ago

Stock or broth. Water if you don't have either.

SeaJambon

The good news is that I've never heard of needing to soften breadcrumbs -- rather, the breadcrumbs are usually added to absorb excess moisture. What is your recipe? Personally, I use dry oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs (with great results!). So, go ahead -- add the breadcrumbs and don't moisten ahead of time. :)

Wet breadcrumbs help keep some moistness in meatloaf (or meatballs.) If I'm not using milk, I use broth. I agree with HLA - water would do, too.

I've used ground oatmeal in some recipes not calling for liquid. Came out tasty!

bigpan

Along with the above mentioned stock , I would also suggest tomato juice.

SeaJambon

This is what I love about this site -- I had NO IDEA! I make meatloaf "the way my mother always did", and she never (therefore, I never) softened breadcrumbs. As mentioned, I usually use oatmeal, not breadcrumbs, but always understood either was added to absorb moisture. Can't say I've ever noticed "tough" meat (to the contrary) but now that I've learned and absorbed (ahem, small pun intended!), I'll have to try it with a "panade". Interesting. The family recipe does call for both eggs and ketchup, FWIW.

kbckitchen

I always love chef Ono's responses. I have learned so much from him/her

Patti in Mississippi

My mom's meat loaf used oatmeal. http://www.quakeroats.com... This recipe uses eggs and tomato juice. I still make it this way but tend to add garlic and basalmic vinegar to it too.

bigpan

Ono is right. After making meatloaf with "filler" bread crumbs for about 30 years, a nice old Italian gentleman told me to soften the bread crumbs before adding into meatballs. They came out soft like cotton. Ever since then I have softened the bread crumbs before making meatloaf or meatballs. I use either skim milk or chicken stock.