Music you need when you are cooking

What are you listening to? For me it's the Danger Mouse, Danielle Luppi collaboration featuring Jack White and Norah Jones; "Rome". Recorded in Rome using musicians who used to work with Ennio Morricone. It's basically a spaghetti western soundtrack without the western. Other times it's Manu Chao (when I REALLY need to get amped up) or my LA Homies, Los Lobos.

What music do you cook with? Anyone who say's Kenny G or Stevie Nicks immediately get's their house toilet papered.

• Posted by: pierino
  • July 21, 2012

petitbleu
petitbleu July 21, 2012

Hear hear!
Depends on my mood. Pensive and doing detail work--icing a cake or doing veggie prep--I might choose Gillian Welch or even Fleet Foxes, but when I'm hitting it hard it's Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin, and perhaps the Black Keys. I do have Nina Simone phases, too. How could you not?

pierino July 21, 2012

I do really like the Black Keys. Especially in the car.

Voted the Best Reply!

susan g July 21, 2012

Silence; classical, including opera; 50's - 60's; folk/world; bluegrass; blues. Favorite sounds regardless of what I'm doing.

JanetFL
JanetFL July 21, 2012

Great topic! I am a child of the sixties - give me the Beatles, Rolling Stones, the Doors (oh yes, Jim Morrison!) the Doors....did I already say that?....

creamtea July 21, 2012

Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven.

Reiney
Reiney July 22, 2012

It's, uh, possible my prep work speeds up considerably with a bit of Missy Elliott.

pierino July 22, 2012

I'll go maybe with Elliot Smith (great song writer) who died of self inflicted homicide. "Between the Bars" is a spectacularly beautiful song.

bugbitten
bugbitten July 22, 2012

Not sure if this helps, but the last time I woke up in an operating room they were playing Bobby Dylan.

bugbitten
bugbitten July 23, 2012

I recall, now, the we were just a pawn in their game.

Kristen W.
Kristen W. July 22, 2012

Lately Neil Young Radio on Pandora has been scratching some deep nostalgic itch that works perfectly for me in the kitchen. But sorry, Pierino, "Landslide" came on once on that station and I'm not afraid to admit I enjoyed hearing it (but OK, it's probably the only Stevie Nicks song I would have enjoyed hearing).

creamtea July 22, 2012

Off topic, but Paganini or similar violin riffs during a root canal can be really hilarious. Ask me how I know.

pierino July 22, 2012

creamtea, I can absolutely understand why. Somehow Dubussey wouldn't work for a root canal.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery July 22, 2012

Right now, I'm making cookies and getting ready to braise roast a chicken to Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, and St. Vincent. Pork dumplings or gnocchi beg for Amon Tobin, Infected Mushroom, Ghostland Observatory, or Ozzy Osbourne. Beer Bread is Of Monsters and Men all the way. Pasta needs Puccini. Soup, quiche, or puddings usually require Édith Piaf. If I'm experimenting and I don't know whether it's going to turn out edible, I'll need School of Seven Bells, Simon and Garfunkel, Fleet Foxes, or Ella Fitzgerald. Stew with Bob Dylan. I wash dishes to the Beatles.

Pegeen July 22, 2012

Are we talking about cooking, or cooking?

Pegeen July 22, 2012

Bollocks! Sorry, keep forgetting one can't edit a post. "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" on NPR.

Louisa
Louisa July 22, 2012

NPR for me too, or my ipod, or I'll put on a favorite old dvd I've watched a million times--one I don't have to watch but can enjoy the dialogue.

pierino July 22, 2012

How could I forget the Velvet Underground? Especially "Sunday Morning" while you are making breakfast. Or, "I'm Waiting for the Man" when your newspaper is late. "First thing you learn is that you've always got to wait."

bigpan
bigpan July 22, 2012

I usually use music of the country I am cooking. For Italian I will go with Pavoratti etc., French perhaps some baroque classical or "cafe'" music. Portugese cataplana would be fado music. For burgers I would go with E street band. Crawfish means Trombone Shorty and Preservation Hall. Etc..
Too many recipes, too much music to pick from. Jazz works for me for any meal. I find it easy to make an iTunes playlist for each occasion and let it run for a few hours.

arcane54
arcane54 July 22, 2012

Right now I'm cooking my way to a healed heart so I listen to Florence and the Machine "Dog Days Are Over" REAL LOUD!!!! wooden spoon a-waving, hips a swaying, and grinning until I can't stand it anymore. I think I'm almost there....

savorthis
savorthis July 23, 2012

Beyondcelery, I'm with you with ESATMZ. The new album especially is such good summer music. We tend to play a random mix of starred favorites on spotify which run the gamut from my indie bands to obscure 60s songs (thanks to XMU's blog radio) to classic rock. Today was all Tool and Puscifer because we had things to get done and that'll do it. Last week I revisited the duchess and the duke for a few days , Alabama Shakes, heartless bastards...aw heck, here's my playlist : http://open.spotify.com/user/dirksenoff/starred.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo July 23, 2012

I was hoping to see your playlist, but couldn't access it.

savorthis
savorthis July 23, 2012

The url includes the last period for some reason- so you have to remove it.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery July 23, 2012

@savorthis: Alabama Shakes, nice! I love eclectic playlists. Sounds like you and I are already music friends.

boulangere July 23, 2012

I catch up on podcasts. The Splendid Table, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, KCRW's Good Food, Le Show, This American Life, to name a few.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo July 23, 2012

HAHA, love that you all need music. I usually use for cleanup, motivates me. One of my first kitchens was the size of a closet, but above the sink was my boom box.

(But the dishwasher--a small box-- was on TOP of a full size fridge, had to stand on a chair to fill it.) But music, necessary....

Thank you pierino-- excellent suggestions to fill gaps in my playlists!

calendargirl
calendargirl July 23, 2012

NPR, especially This American Life, The Splendid Table, Car Talk, or a favorite choral opus -- Bach's B Minor Mass, Mozart Requiem; Dixie Chicks. Oh, and absolute silence is sometimes the very best.

Pegeen July 23, 2012

I like radio journalism too (NPR) while cooking because there's nothing more painful than trying to chop or dice to the wrong tempo. Oh, so painful.

Jazz seems to be easiest. Heard a great piece on NPR recently with Linda Oh, a jazz bassist. Beautiful talent. http://n.pr/MMuWil

batbean
batbean July 23, 2012

Motown. Just Motown. It's impossible to be unhappy.

ChefJune July 23, 2012

Most of the time I cook to Jazz. Joe Williams' music is my all-time favorite, but the rotation includes Russell Malone, Ron Carter, Count Basie Orchestra, Diana Krall, Carmen McRae, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Rollins, Dexter Gordon, Eddie Johnson and other assorted artists.

Being a horn player myself, (I do play Jazz) I occasionally prefer a little Wagner, or the concerti of Gliere or R. Strauss... maybe a Brahms symphony. You get the idea. ;)

pierino July 23, 2012

ChefJune, shouldn't there be a Mingus among us? And of course Monk.

boulangere July 23, 2012

Cannonball Adderly, Charlie Parker, Miles

AntoniaJames July 23, 2012

Giants Baseball, A's Baseball, Sunday Night Baseball (or any other ESPN nationally televised baseball) in that order, usually. And whichever pre-game or post-game show is most interesting, which means anything hosted by Marty Lurie, always, instead of whatever else might be on. And of course I listen to the All-Star Game and all post-season play. When it's not baseball season, I listen to whatever live sports are being broadcast, with hockey always preferred over basketball, and with the clarification that car racing is not a sport. (Please don't tell my brother that I just said that.) And I love listening to radio broadcasts of professional golf events. In fact, I prefer radio to TV for all sports. But I'm very interested in this thread, as my taste in music tends to be classical, with a heavy emphasis on the piano works I studied years ago, which are close to my heart. So you all are giving me ideas for so much to explore. Thank you! ;o)

creamtea July 23, 2012

I agree about piano, or, f piano + strings: best combination ever.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis July 23, 2012

MOTOWN!

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque July 24, 2012

Yes, me too! "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" always has me dancing at the stove.

Dianaba
Dianaba July 23, 2012

80s Pop/Rock are usually my go-to tunes while cooking.

pierino July 23, 2012

Like maybe Talking Heads? I did once have dinner two tables away from David Byrne. "This ain't no party, this ain't no disco...ain't got time for that now."

creamtea July 23, 2012

Pierino you are just too funny. I can't keep away from this thread.

Bevi
Bevi July 24, 2012

John Lee Hooker, Teddy Pendergrass, Old Philly groups produced by Gamble and Huff! And musicians influenced by them - Boz Scaggs, etc.

pierino July 24, 2012

"People all over the world, start a love train, love train..."

On a city theme, the Chicago sound---and I don't mean the band Chicago. But like, Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions.

New Orleans; too many to name.

Bevi
Bevi July 24, 2012

Yes to Curtis Mayfield. As anti toilet paper as they come.

ChefJune July 26, 2012

....."she was a Gypsy Woman..."

chefsusie
chefsusie July 24, 2012

I listen to AC/DC, Eminem, ZZ Topp, P!nk, Weezer, CCR, Maroon 5, Robbie Williams and some George Strait . It doesn't hurt for me to toss in some 80's music either. (Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Spin Doctors) I prefer fast-paced music...keeps me going!

pierino July 24, 2012

Chefsusie there is a delivery of toilet paper headed to your house. Look out. You clinched it with Fleetwood Mac but AC/DC was almost enough to get you there by itself.

chefsusie
chefsusie July 25, 2012

I specifically noted fleetwood Mac as you noted Stevie nicks. Lol. I will be waiting for the tp..does it come with a remodeled bathroom? If I had mentioned Disturbed. Would that get me a set of bath towels? I also like classical. Mozart is rather inspirational. My husband and I have around 40K songs in our collection.

Third Floor Kitchen
Third Floor Kitchen July 24, 2012

I have a definite seasonal, emotional attachment to music. I think a good part of this is due to my parents' taste in music which ran the gamut from Bob Dylan to classic showtunes. Summer cooking for me is best suited for, what I consider, easy and bright music. I have an oldies mix on my iPod that love. Songs from the Supremes, the Jackson Five, 5th Dimension as well as music from the Turtles and other bands/singers of the 60's and 70's would be included.

When autumn and winter rolls around, I find myself drawn to lush orchestral arrangements found in artists like Ella Fitzgerald and Barbra Streisand.

I don't want to say that I am stuck in the past. I do love Gaga and many other current artists. And on the non-musical front, I love NPR podcasts such as Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, The Splendid Table, This American Life, and On the Media.

pierino July 24, 2012

Mattcooper, the Turtles qualify as way cool. Wonderful harmonies combined with intentionally ridiculous lyrics.

Now, if you really want to get your house TP'ed bring up America and "Horse With No Name". It's on every critic's list of dumbest songs ever written.

Bevi
Bevi July 24, 2012

I went through a George Clinton phase. "I'll take some fries with that shake."

pierino July 24, 2012

I absolutely love George Clinton and the whole Parliament/Funkadelic thing. Bootsy! "Free your mind and your ass will follow."

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo July 24, 2012

Well, I'm going London for the next 2 weeks. Stones, Elton John, Adele, Amy Winehouse, Queen, Yes, George Michael, even a little Eurythmics.

Garlic Fiend
Garlic Fiend July 25, 2012

I like to listen to the food prep--chopping, dicing, sizzling, boiling, crackling... I cook by sound, smell, and touch.

AmandaClaire
AmandaClaire July 25, 2012

Chris Issak and Mark Knopfler/Dire Straits.

My mom would always listen to them while cooking dinner when I was growing up. I guess it's genetic!

Gobeithia
Gobeithia July 26, 2012

I love music, but find it distracting while cooking. Often I have my children cooking with me. There is something special about having us all in the room, not a word being spoken, and the sound of chopping, tasting, sizzling, wisking, and the occasional giggle.

I am the same when I run or bike, I love the sound of my heart pumping in my ears and my breath.

savorthis
savorthis July 26, 2012

Funny- I love listening to music when I cook by myself or with my husband, but when my three year old helps she eventually insists on HER music which means we are all cooking to HELLOOOOO EVERYBODY! and I want to stab myself. We do take turns, but it takes a toll!

Benny
Benny July 26, 2012

for me its classic rock and 80's rock. Pandora does a pretty good job at selecting a playlist of the day for me.

AliNashville
AliNashville July 26, 2012

Elliott Smith is a must!

pierino July 26, 2012

Elliot Smith! Didn't I just say that? Bring on "Ballad of Big Nothing".

Waverly
Waverly July 27, 2012

Pandora Stations: Luke Bryan Radio, Otis Redding Radio, and Rolling Stones Radio!

Emily0624
Emily0624 July 27, 2012

weekend breakfast = reggae. :)

NHfoodie
NHfoodie July 27, 2012

Classic rock radio, like Chicago's The Drive, streamed into my NH kitchen on my Internet radio.

NHfoodie
NHfoodie July 27, 2012

Kim Reiff
Kim Reiff July 30, 2012

Edith Piaf, Sinatra, Thomas Tallis, Nina Simone. You can't beat disco either!

calendargirl
calendargirl July 30, 2012

Love Tallis!

AntoniaJames July 30, 2012

Is the Thomas Tallis you're referring to the organist of the Royal Chapel during the reigns of four English monarchs (Elizabeth I being the last)? If so, I'm rather fond of his music, too, but I've never cooked to it. I'm quite a fan of the Tallis Scholars, which a writer for "The New York Times" described as "The rock stars of Renaissance vocal music." ;o)

Sugar & Spice & Everything Nice

I love listening to Citizen Cope.

Smaug March 1, 2018

Well, Rhiannon Giddens and Pistol Annies got me through this morning's blackberry pie and ragu. I tend to favor country music for cooking (and traveling), but Carribean and African stuff work pretty well too. Sometimes jazz, but I tend to want to concentrate more on that.

Miss Karen
Miss Karen March 5, 2018

Pachebel Canon in D. (loudly)
Josh Groban, Closer
Neil Diamond, Hot August Nights
Journey.