What is the cheapest and best tasting crock pot recipe do you know?

Crock Pot Meal Under $10

• Posted by: Bek
  • January 25, 2013

pierino January 25, 2013

Slowly braised pork shoulder. Lard it with garlic slivers and brown it on all sides. Add your favorite pork seasonings to the slow cooker; rosemary, juniper berries, bay leaf, whole pepper corns,quartered onion etc. Season with salt. Surround the meat with stock.

AntoniaJames January 25, 2013

Amen, pierino. I thinly slice the onion lengthwise and lay it on the bottom of the slow cooker. It melts into its own creamy sauce flavored with all the other goodies in there. ;o)

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese January 25, 2013

Curry! Cheep, easy, delicious! We are talking about $1 per person (assuming they are going back for seconds or thirds). Less, if you only let them have one helping. And that price includes the rice or bread.

Can make it vegan or full of meat. I've got some good recipes for you, am I allowed to post links from my blog?

nutcakes
nutcakes January 27, 2013

Links are okay, so your blog link should be fine as long as you are temperate with it.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese January 27, 2013

In that case, I would choose my Goat Curry recipe (you can use any dark stewing meat like Lamb, mutton, or even beef - whatever's on sale). It's very forgiving and will work on too-dry-left-over-roast-beast too. It costs about $5 to $8 per larger slow cooker full, put it with rice and you can easily serve 10 hungry people, with enough left over for seconds. http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca/2013/01/curry-saves-day-basic-goat-curry-recipe.html

Just take the ingredients and put them in the slowcooker, on high for 1 to 2 hours, and low for at least 3 hours. Longer is better and taste great the next day.

It's a really high energy food and I usually make it when we have people come to the farm to do hard work (like barn raising). With rice and some other goodies, it comes to about $1 per person, or 60 cents a plate.

Leave out the meat for even more affordable vegetarian version. It can be made vegan friendly if you are careful that the curry paste has no butter (or other not good to serve vegan ingredients) in it.

Sweets
Sweets January 25, 2013

Chicken masala. I cut chicken thighs into strips and coat with coriander, cumin, and yogurt. On top of the chicken I place a scotch bonnet pepper then I top with a tomato sauce. I make the tomato sauce with sautéed garlic and onion, garam masala, fresh ginger, sugar and of course puréed tomatoes. After about 5 hours the chicken is really tender and the sauce is creamy!

lloreen
lloreen January 26, 2013

I really like this recipe for a whole chicken cooked with lemon and garlic :http://www.thekitchn.com...
You can make stock with the bones, which stretches it out even further. The sauce is like liquid gold. I reduce it, strain it, chill and remove the fat. The resulting sauce can be frozen in ice cube trays - add it to vegetables or grains for an instant burst of rich chicken flavor with a bright lemon twist.

WannabeBaker
WannabeBaker January 27, 2013

Get some pork ribs on sale. Pop them in on low with your favorite BBQ sauce (I actually love buffalo wing sauce. I know - crazy, but it's good!) and cook for 6-8 hours.

sexyLAMBCHOPx January 27, 2013

This chef on the Food Network has a show, as you may know, for $10 meals. This recipe is highly rated for the slow cooker. Worth a look. http://www.foodnetwork...

a Whole Foods Market Customer

!. Country-style pork ribs, potatoes, onions, carrots and apples. Pour in a little stock or apple cider and add salt, pepper and a little caraway seed.
2. Mix together 1 cup ketchup, 1 cup unsalted beef stock, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 cup turbinado sugar, 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Put an inexpensive but well trimmed beef roast in crop pot and pour sauce over it. Cook on low until it shreds easily.