Pots and pans for a first kitchen

I know this type of question has been asked before, but I can't seem to pull up what I am looking for. I need to buy 2 or 3 pots for a college student, who cooks some, but not much. I'd like to get her something that is good enough (not a piece of junk) but reasonably priced. Not the right time for all-clad, etc. Also need to buy two pans for her--preferably non-stick, I think. I'll be purchasing a lodge cast iron (10 or 12 inch?) and a dutch oven.

• Posted by: ATG117
  • January 26, 2013

ATG117
ATG117 January 26, 2013

I'll add to this, any decent wood cutting boards as well

Voted the Best Reply!

Monita January 26, 2013

Cuisinart makes good mid-priced pots and pans and Emeril Lagasse's brand isn't too bad. Bed Bath and beyond sells reasonably priced wood cutting boards

citizenkitchen
citizenkitchen January 26, 2013

I agree with Monita, Emerilware is a great choice. I've been working with Chef E for the past 7 years on live shows from Shop at Home to were we are now at HSN, and this cookware is hands down the best value for the money. We throw a lot of abuse at these pots and pans in the test kitchen and on the set and they hold up great. We use this cookware everyday at home too. This 12 piece set http://www.hsn.com/products/emerilware-hard-anodized-12-piece-cookware-set/7060214
comes in under $200 so you could keep a few for your kitchen and pack up the 10" and maybe the 3qt for your student to take to school. We were just a HSN last weekend and there was a great deal on the 12" and 8" open saute pans for $50. If you can hold off until March we will be back on air the 9th and 10th, they will be some great deals for sure. Be sure to look for me on air during the fryer and grilling segment! Good luck!

LucyS
LucyS January 26, 2013

You can get some nice nonstick pans in pairs, where you get one shallower and one deeper with a lid that fits both. I like this set because the deeper one can be used in place of a wok if need be, and the lid is really useful.

bigpan
bigpan January 26, 2013

Buy quality even if fewer pieces to start. One non stick pan and one cast iron should be in the mix. Think ahead to maybe having an inductive range in the future so buy appropriate pans.

A good Dutch oven and lasagna size roasting pan are also assets.

QueenSashy January 26, 2013

When I started my first kitchen, with an EXTREMELY low budget, I bought Lodge for cast iron and Ikea stainless steel http://www.ikea.com/us.... I was really Impressed with Ikea's price to quality ratio. And they looked stylish too.

Greenstuff January 26, 2013

The "buy quality even if fewer pieces" can work for some, but other students will move so often that they do not want to pack up and move their kitchens. For them, the Ikea approach is better. My daughter has had and abandoned three Ikea kitchens and is on the fourth. Her nicer things are here with me. While they'll be fun to come home to, they aren't doing her much good now.

ATG117
ATG117 January 26, 2013

Thanks Greenstuff, I'm assuming these won't move with her. But I don't want to buy her complete junk either. So really just looking for brand suggestions.

abbyarnold
abbyarnold January 27, 2013

10or 12 inch nonstick skillet. Spaghetti pot. Dutch oven. Small saucepan for heating up milk for cocoa. I would skip the cast iron for now. It takes more care and is too heavy. Also a nonstick cookie sheet and a roll of parchment! Think about what she'll be cooking---pasta and sauce, grilled cheese, scrambled eggs and french toast, heating up cans of soup. That's cooking in teens and 20s! I am a parent of 2 who are tgat age.

sexyLAMBCHOPx January 27, 2013

Simply Calphalon or Rachael Ray's pieces may be a good option. As you may know Bed, Bed & Beyond has those $ saving coupons and Kohl's offers RR at sale prices.

drbabs January 27, 2013

Check out TJMaxx if there's one near you. You probably won't be able to find matching sets, but they have decent stuff (sometimes really good stuff) at great prices. My favorite Calphalon cookie sheet and baking pans are all from there.