🔕 🔔

Easy artichoke choke removal

I love stuffed artichokes and make lots of them when I do make them....but, find removing the choke soooo difficult. Is there a tool, or trick anyone knows of?

asked by Lynne Rothenberg over 4 years ago

B1ff7c6d 1bd4 41c2 a1a7 c1080efe383f  cathybarrow allrecipes e 2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

I use an old grapefruit spoon. It's perfect, with the serrated edge, for digging out just the hairy spiky part and leaving the heart.

3d9a3882 c161 441f 8a91 0efd10979f7c  2007 09 11e s4

I rarely stuff mine, but once they are steamed, I'll cut them in half top-to-bottom and use a spoon to dig out the choke. I like Cathy's idea of a grapefruit spoon, though, and will pick one up next time I'm in the big city!

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

I bought a set on eBay. Also saw some at Target the other day. They are handy -- also for grapefruit! ;-)

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

My melon baller has a serated edge, and I'd thought it was pretty typical. Mine looks like this http://www.cutleryandmore...