Easy artichoke choke removal

I love stuffed artichokes and make lots of them when I do make them....but, find removing the choke soooo difficult. Is there a tool, or trick anyone knows of?

asked by Lynne Rothenberg almost 6 years ago

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

I use an old grapefruit spoon. It's perfect, with the serrated edge, for digging out just the hairy spiky part and leaving the heart.

WileyP

I rarely stuff mine, but once they are steamed, I'll cut them in half top-to-bottom and use a spoon to dig out the choke. I like Cathy's idea of a grapefruit spoon, though, and will pick one up next time I'm in the big city!

cookbookchick

I bought a set on eBay. Also saw some at Target the other day. They are handy -- also for grapefruit! ;-)

My melon baller has a serated edge, and I'd thought it was pretty typical. Mine looks like this http://www.cutleryandmore.com/content/products/large/8998.jpg