Defrosting steaks

I have three 8 oz filet mignons in freezer. I'd like to cook on Sat. When should I take them out of the freezer?

asked by Stephanie G over 5 years ago

I would put them in the refrigerator to defrost on Thursday night and they should be sufficiently defrosted by Saturday.

I think you could even take them out Friday morning and they's be ready for Sat.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I concur with Suzanne. I also like to pat them really dry with paper towels which makes for a nice sear on the steaks.

If the filets are packaged in plastic, you can use the quick method outlined by Harold McGee.
http://www.splendidtable...

I also concur with Suzanne. I prefer them to thaw slowly in the fridge, and to be completely thawed before cooking. I also dry them thoroughly before exposing to heat.

shoresdiver

IMHO- I'm not a chef, but freezing and defrosting (particularly quickly) has to affect the protein due to cell rupture. A slow defrost is certainly preferable, and a complete defrost is probably required (or you will overlook)

shoresdiver

Make that overcook....

petitbleu

I love the quick thaw method of submerging cuts of meat in warm water (à la Harold McGee as mentioned above), but since you're thinking about it so far in advance and don't need to thaw in a hurry, just pull them out of the freezer a day in advance and thaw in the fridge.

themissingingredient

I have never heard of "Harold McGee" but that is the same method that I have used for many years. I am always scrambling to find something to cook when I come home late from a trip and going to a grocery isn't an option and besides nothing breaks the magic of a vacation in a faraway place like having to shop at your local grocery.