🔕 🔔

Defrosting steaks

I have three 8 oz filet mignons in freezer. I'd like to cook on Sat. When should I take them out of the freezer?

asked by Stephanie G over 4 years ago

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I would put them in the refrigerator to defrost on Thursday night and they should be sufficiently defrosted by Saturday.

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

I think you could even take them out Friday morning and they's be ready for Sat.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I concur with Suzanne. I also like to pat them really dry with paper towels which makes for a nice sear on the steaks.

If the filets are packaged in plastic, you can use the quick method outlined by Harold McGee.
http://www.splendidtable...

I also concur with Suzanne. I prefer them to thaw slowly in the fridge, and to be completely thawed before cooking. I also dry them thoroughly before exposing to heat.

IMHO- I'm not a chef, but freezing and defrosting (particularly quickly) has to affect the protein due to cell rupture. A slow defrost is certainly preferable, and a complete defrost is probably required (or you will overlook)

Make that overcook....

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I love the quick thaw method of submerging cuts of meat in warm water (à la Harold McGee as mentioned above), but since you're thinking about it so far in advance and don't need to thaw in a hurry, just pull them out of the freezer a day in advance and thaw in the fridge.

71929195 94d8 43e2 844d 63520a942ddd  dscn0624

I have never heard of "Harold McGee" but that is the same method that I have used for many years. I am always scrambling to find something to cook when I come home late from a trip and going to a grocery isn't an option and besides nothing breaks the magic of a vacation in a faraway place like having to shop at your local grocery.