Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Buttermilk Lemon Pudding Cake: Sub Ground Pecans?

One of my fav desserts is a frozen lemon mousse w/ pecan success layers (VERY labor intensive.) I've never made a *pudding cake *before but i'd like to try a recipe for one, with these ingredients below. Do you think it could work to sub ground pecans for the flour (it gets mixed with everything else and then the egg whites get whipped w/ sugar and they are folded into the wet ingredients.Then the pudding is baked in a bain marie. Do you think the heavier weight of the pecans would mess up something?Since one of the pluses of the pudding cake is its creaminess, do you think the pecans would not be advisable? thx for your thoughts!:
1 ½ cups buttermilk
Juice and zest of one lemon
1/3 cup lime juice, preferably from key limes
4 egg yolks
¼ cup all purpose flour (sub ground pecans?)
1 cup sugar – divided
½ stick butter (softened)
Pinch of salt
3 egg whites

asked by LE BEC FIN almost 3 years ago

I'm not sure you could grind the pecans fine enough to assume the place of the flour. It would definitely mess with the texture of the cake part. If you're looking for gluten free, I'm sure there's a better substitute, although I'm not savvy enough with gluten free to be able to immediately recommend one. Perhaps chick pea flour?