🔕 🔔

Unbleached Untreated Wheat Flour

I am trying to make a copycat recipe of Whole Foods' Seeduction Bread - I have the ingredients from the label, which are all self-explanatory except for "unbleached, untreated wheat flour". What exactly is this? Is it something I can buy in a store? I always buy unbleached flour but I'm not sure what "untreated" refers to, and am hitting a road block on the internet. Thank you!

asked by Ashley Marie almost 4 years ago

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

I'd just go with unbleached AP flour like King Arthur's. You could call WF and ask them, but hopefully our boulangere will weigh in. She is very knowledgeable about bread baking.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Sometimes the word untreated has to do with pesticide use by the manufacturer, in this case to the wheat. I'd assume they want you to use organic flour that has been untreated with pesticides...just a hunch. Good luck to you.

"Untreated" likely means unbromated, in other words, not treated with potassium bromate. The latter helps the gluten in flour better form a network of pockets which trap carbon dioxide, a byproduct of fermentation, both of which cause dough to rise. Un-bromated flour will certainly reach the same point in the fermentation process, albeit a bit slower. Look for such a flour in any good natural foods store's bulk bins.