🔕 🔔

Cooking in Clay

What recipes techniques and cookware for cooking in clay?

asked about 2 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I just bought some mini flowerpots which are seasoning in the oven now.
To make individual bread servings.
I also have a 70's Romertopft clay cooker I use quite a a bit in the winter/fall for roasts and chicken.

What clay ware do you use? I'm thinking those mini flowerpots could be a nice way to make little meatloafs or Shepard's pie.

Emile Henry (French brand) glazed clay pottery. Cooks and cleans beautifully. I especially like the smallish sizes (2 or 3 cups) for individual servings. I make lasagna, pea soup, casseroles, bread in them.
Tom Hess (American) for red clay pie plates. Use for pies, crumbles and the like.
Idea for your flowerpots - individual or small brioche, for a luxurious breakfast or brunch.

Ba67bb65 4a48 4c32 9267 a44ff4dae0fb  tobacco road 010

I've also seen deserts served in those mini flower pots.
http://www.foodnetwork...

A9dfb40a 4837 42e7 a725 dec4d3e9e715  hillaryreeves 14

Interesting! I have never tried it with a flower pot, but many Korean dishes make use of a "dolsot" or Korean stone pot. I have a feeling you could try out the dishes in clay cookware--extra crispy rice on the bottom! ;)

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Sam, since they can be heated, you can use for any small side dish or assortment of canapés...
A side of smashed potato or whatever.
A base of hash with a poached egg on top for breakfast.
A side dish of warm hush puppies.
Or chilled with a mousse.....
And on and on it goes.

4b48f575 45eb 445f 9b85 28d5bc9cacff  open uri20140626 25859 ib41v1

I dont know If I would use a commercial flowerpot for food... is it really a plant/nursery sourced flowerpot? I'd be concerned that the clay may not be food quality and may have fillers or lead. I cook in clay pots a lot, and use unglazed Columbian LaChambra and glazed Mexican Ollas for beans, stews and polenta, and a stoneware slab for bread baking. THere are tow of my "go to' sited for uestions about clay pot cooking: Steve Sando's "Cooking with clay" FB page: https://www.facebook.com... and Steve Sando's blog at Rancho Gordo beans: http://www.ranchogordoblog...