Your tips for making homemade frozen pizza? I tried thekitchn's technique but found the crust underwhelming - a bit leathery after the final bake.

Have you done this before? What dough recipe do you use? I used my standard sourdough based on Chad Robertson's ratios and techniques in "Tartine Bread". Am I just a bit spoiled by the just-made (not frozen) pizza I usually make? Your thoughts and tips would, as always, be most appreciated. ;o)

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I make Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois' recipe, mostly because it's really easy to make and I can make pizza for the next 2 weeks using dough from my refrigerator, here's the link:
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2011/10/25/pizza-margherita-and-a-pizza-making-package-red-star-yeast-king-arthur-flour-emile-henry-pizza-stone-a-signed-pizza-book-giveaway

Thank you, Trena. Very helpful! Especially the link - always appreciated. I had no idea one could keep dough for 2 weeks. Amazing. ;o)

ktr
ktr

I use a similar recipe and freeze the leftovers rather than keep it in the fridge for 2 weeks. Although, I will mix the dough up several days in advance if I know I'm making pizza later in the week.
http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/no-knead-whole-wheat-semolina-pizza-dough-make-ahead-mondays/

ktr, thank you for posting this link to the foodiewithfamily blog big batch pizza dough recipe. I'm inspired! I have rising now a double batch of William Alexander's pizza dough - my exploration of artisanal sourdoughs started with his delightfully readable "52 Loaves" -- for making stromboli tonight. Here's the link: http://williamalexander.com/bread/pizza.cfm

I'll freeze a few stromboli. Since my oven stones (I use refractory tiles from the kiln shop) will be hot, I will also make one 10" round pizza to bake and then freeze, just to see how it turns out. I'll freeze a ball of that dough, too, for testing in a week or two. Stay tuned. Cheers! ;o)

I've never thought to do this. I usually make and bake a whole bunch of 10" round pizzas, then freeze leftover pies in gallon freezer bags (one pie fits perfectly), and reheat pizzas on a baking sheet in a 375F oven until cheese is sizzling. It's delicious.

Good to know, mrslarkin. Thank you for the specific instructions!
Love you. ;o)

ktr
ktr

I've tried this method in the past and while it was convenient, I stopped doing it because it takes up more freezer space than the dough does. And, I tended to make the crusts too large to fit into a freezer bag so I had to wrap them in plastic wrap and foil
I do however, bake several loaves of bread at one time and freeze the extras. I have no explaination for why it bothered me to store prebaked pizza crusts but I have no problem storing loaves of bread!

Oh! AJ, I wanted to mention that I use a 256 g ball of dough for each 10" pizza. Makes a perfect-sized pie for a gallon freezer bag!

This is my own pizza recipe https://food52.com/recipes... Amanda and Merrill were kind enough to test it and photograph the process from start to finish. The prehistoric years of Food52.

Your Guardian Chef, I can vouch for that pizza. I made it a few weeks ago, in fact, using my own no-knead dough (the recipe's in the Food52 "Baking" cookbook - there is no attribution, but it's mine!), adding a just enough semolina to give it that beautiful flavor. Sometimes I ask, "Why make anything else?"

And then my family reminds me that they like additional toppings . . . . . ;o)

I haven't tried freezing it but I doubt that you would get the same result. The "cornice" matters. It should puff and blister. If it doesn't Neapolitans won't eat it.

Your Guardian Chef, to hold overnight I wrap the dough in cling wrap. My dough is very elastic. If you would like it less so, you can knead it less. I dress the pizza at room temperature because I want it to cook really fast. And I brush the cornice with olive oil to help hold its shape. I like to see big blisters forming when it's cooking.

Dona

High gluten flour....is that bread flour or 00 flour? Something else?