Your tips for making homemade frozen pizza? I tried thekitchn's technique but found the crust underwhelming - a bit leathery after the final bake.

Have you done this before? What dough recipe do you use? I used my standard sourdough based on Chad Robertson's ratios and techniques in "Tartine Bread". Am I just a bit spoiled by the just-made (not frozen) pizza I usually make? Your thoughts and tips would, as always, be most appreciated. ;o)

Dona April 13, 2016
High gluten flour....is that bread flour or 00 flour? Something else?

pierino April 7, 2016
This is my own pizza recipe https://food52.com/recipes/4502-una-pizza-rustica-e-autentica-for-sophia-loren Amanda and Merrill were kind enough to test it and photograph the process from start to finish. The prehistoric years of Food52.

AntoniaJames April 7, 2016
Your Guardian Chef, I can vouch for that pizza. I made it a few weeks ago, in fact, using my own no-knead dough (the recipe's in the Food52 "Baking" cookbook - there is no attribution, but it's mine!), adding a just enough semolina to give it that beautiful flavor. Sometimes I ask, "Why make anything else?"

And then my family reminds me that they like additional toppings . . . . . ;o)

pierino April 7, 2016
I haven't tried freezing it but I doubt that you would get the same result. The "cornice" matters. It should puff and blister. If it doesn't Neapolitans won't eat it.

pierino April 13, 2016
Your Guardian Chef, to hold overnight I wrap the dough in cling wrap. My dough is very elastic. If you would like it less so, you can knead it less. I dress the pizza at room temperature because I want it to cook really fast. And I brush the cornice with olive oil to help hold its shape. I like to see big blisters forming when it's cooking.

pierino April 13, 2016

pierino April 13, 2016

mrslarkin April 7, 2016
I've never thought to do this. I usually make and bake a whole bunch of 10" round pizzas, then freeze leftover pies in gallon freezer bags (one pie fits perfectly), and reheat pizzas on a baking sheet in a 375F oven until cheese is sizzling. It's delicious.

AntoniaJames April 7, 2016
Good to know, mrslarkin. Thank you for the specific instructions!
Love you. ;o)

ktr April 8, 2016
I've tried this method in the past and while it was convenient, I stopped doing it because it takes up more freezer space than the dough does. And, I tended to make the crusts too large to fit into a freezer bag so I had to wrap them in plastic wrap and foil
I do however, bake several loaves of bread at one time and freeze the extras. I have no explaination for why it bothered me to store prebaked pizza crusts but I have no problem storing loaves of bread!

mrslarkin April 11, 2016
Oh! AJ, I wanted to mention that I use a 256 g ball of dough for each 10" pizza. Makes a perfect-sized pie for a gallon freezer bag!

Trena H. April 7, 2016
I make Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois' recipe, mostly because it's really easy to make and I can make pizza for the next 2 weeks using dough from my refrigerator, here's the link:
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2011/10/25/pizza-margherita-and-a-pizza-making-package-red-star-yeast-king-arthur-flour-emile-henry-pizza-stone-a-signed-pizza-book-giveaway

AntoniaJames April 7, 2016
Thank you, Trena. Very helpful! Especially the link - always appreciated. I had no idea one could keep dough for 2 weeks. Amazing. ;o)

ktr April 8, 2016
I use a similar recipe and freeze the leftovers rather than keep it in the fridge for 2 weeks. Although, I will mix the dough up several days in advance if I know I'm making pizza later in the week.
http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/no-knead-whole-wheat-semolina-pizza-dough-make-ahead-mondays/

AntoniaJames April 8, 2016
ktr, thank you for posting this link to the foodiewithfamily blog big batch pizza dough recipe. I'm inspired! I have rising now a double batch of William Alexander's pizza dough - my exploration of artisanal sourdoughs started with his delightfully readable "52 Loaves" -- for making stromboli tonight. Here's the link: http://williamalexander.com/bread/pizza.cfm

I'll freeze a few stromboli. Since my oven stones (I use refractory tiles from the kiln shop) will be hot, I will also make one 10" round pizza to bake and then freeze, just to see how it turns out. I'll freeze a ball of that dough, too, for testing in a week or two. Stay tuned. Cheers! ;o)