Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

Your tips for making homemade frozen pizza? I tried thekitchn's technique but found the crust underwhelming - a bit leathery after the final bake.

Have you done this before? What dough recipe do you use? I used my standard sourdough based on Chad Robertson's ratios and techniques in "Tartine Bread". Am I just a bit spoiled by the just-made (not frozen) pizza I usually make? Your thoughts and tips would, as always, be most appreciated. ;o)

asked 8 months ago
05ecb292 9c62 4e50 b630 a898cae237ad  laura avatar s size

For my pizza dough I use the classic pizza recipe with active yeast, and uncooked dough with active yeast do not freeze well.

Instead of using the freezer, I make my dough in the bread machine with a timer.
I just put the ingredients in and set the timer. My pizza dough is ready when I want.
In 10 minutes I prepare it and in 17 minutes (exact to the minute) I cook it.

My homemade pizza is ready in 30 minutes, faster than a delivery and freshly baked.

F16adcb5 e667 4c56 8d37 2984714c46e9  open uri20131025 3491 1e6gbf8

I have never had a problem freezing pizza dough - however it must go through the slow fermentation process before freezing, which means keeping the dough in the fridge after rising and punching down for at least 24 hours, and up to 48 hours. I NEVER use any pizza dough on the same day it is made because it doesn't have a time to break down some of the protein, and the dough's flavor doesn't get a chance to develop. You get a hard, bland cracker-like crust rather than a tender crust with a crisp exterior and a nice slightly tangy flavor.

Jan, every time I let the pizza dough rest for more than 1 day (fridge or no fridge), the humidity makes it sticky. I never had a cracker-like crust, once I roll the dough I let it rest for 5 minutes, the time for the oven to warm up. So the dough rises again.

I cook my pizza over a soapstone pizza plate (like the soapstone pot luvcookbooks has) which is hot already when I put the pizza on top. The pizza cooks evenly like in a wooden stove and it is always tender, crisp and with a nice fresh baked flavor.

Not sure why mine is different than yours, but I found less time consuming to program the bread machine, and my pizza is like the one we eat in Italy.

Your Guardian Chef, what temperature is your oven for that bake? Grazie! ;o)

The temperature is 350 F (180 C) and the oven and the soapstone plates (I use 2) are at that temperature when the pizza goes in.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I make Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois' recipe, mostly because it's really easy to make and I can make pizza for the next 2 weeks using dough from my refrigerator, here's the link:
http://www.artisanbreadinfive...

Thank you, Trena. Very helpful! Especially the link - always appreciated. I had no idea one could keep dough for 2 weeks. Amazing. ;o)

ktr

I use a similar recipe and freeze the leftovers rather than keep it in the fridge for 2 weeks. Although, I will mix the dough up several days in advance if I know I'm making pizza later in the week.
http://www.foodiewithfamily...

ktr, thank you for posting this link to the foodiewithfamily blog big batch pizza dough recipe. I'm inspired! I have rising now a double batch of William Alexander's pizza dough - my exploration of artisanal sourdoughs started with his delightfully readable "52 Loaves" -- for making stromboli tonight. Here's the link: http://williamalexander...

I'll freeze a few stromboli. Since my oven stones (I use refractory tiles from the kiln shop) will be hot, I will also make one 10" round pizza to bake and then freeze, just to see how it turns out. I'll freeze a ball of that dough, too, for testing in a week or two. Stay tuned. Cheers! ;o)

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I've never thought to do this. I usually make and bake a whole bunch of 10" round pizzas, then freeze leftover pies in gallon freezer bags (one pie fits perfectly), and reheat pizzas on a baking sheet in a 375F oven until cheese is sizzling. It's delicious.

Good to know, mrslarkin. Thank you for the specific instructions!
Love you. ;o)

ktr

I've tried this method in the past and while it was convenient, I stopped doing it because it takes up more freezer space than the dough does. And, I tended to make the crusts too large to fit into a freezer bag so I had to wrap them in plastic wrap and foil
I do however, bake several loaves of bread at one time and freeze the extras. I have no explaination for why it bothered me to store prebaked pizza crusts but I have no problem storing loaves of bread!

Oh! AJ, I wanted to mention that I use a 256 g ball of dough for each 10" pizza. Makes a perfect-sized pie for a gallon freezer bag!

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

This is my own pizza recipe https://food52.com/recipes... Amanda and Merrill were kind enough to test it and photograph the process from start to finish. The prehistoric years of Food52.

Fantastic Pizza, Pierino ! ...But can you freeze the dough?

Your Guardian Chef, I can vouch for that pizza. I made it a few weeks ago, in fact, using my own no-knead dough (the recipe's in the Food52 "Baking" cookbook - there is no attribution, but it's mine!), adding a just enough semolina to give it that beautiful flavor. Sometimes I ask, "Why make anything else?"

And then my family reminds me that they like additional toppings . . . . . ;o)

I haven't tried freezing it but I doubt that you would get the same result. The "cornice" matters. It should puff and blister. If it doesn't Neapolitans won't eat it.

Pierino, I use exactly the same measurements and ingredients for my dough (+ just 1/2 tsp of sugar for the yeast), but because the bread machine warms up just enough for the yeast activate, I don't need to add warm water. I just put all the ingredients in and in 1:30 I have a perfect dough.
I never tried to leave the dough overnight in the fridge, and I will try to see the difference.
And if Neapolitans don't eat frozen pizza, I wouldn't either.

Antoniajames, I agree, I could live just on homemade pizza, and my children too !
And when their friends come for sleep over, they come straight in the kitchen to make sure I am making it.

Pierino, I made the pizza dough on Monday and let it rest over night. We had it yesterday and I admit the dough was better, more consistent.
The only draw back was my boys complaining having to wait the next day for their pizza.
Two questions:
1. Should the dough be at room temperature when it goes in the oven?
2. What technique do you use to stop the pizza dough from crawling around the fridge?

Your Guardian Chef, to hold overnight I wrap the dough in cling wrap. My dough is very elastic. If you would like it less so, you can knead it less. I dress the pizza at room temperature because I want it to cook really fast. And I brush the cornice with olive oil to help hold its shape. I like to see big blisters forming when it's cooking.

Thank you Pierino, next time I will follow to the "virgola". I had only 1 blister and I think I should cook at higher temperature.

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

High gluten flour....is that bread flour or 00 flour? Something else?