What is your favorite under-$10(ish) kitchen tool/helper/doodad?

I love asking this group about their favorite kitchen/home helpers. Please chime in and share your trusty affordable sidekicks here: Is it a pie docker? Dish cloths? The line is open, thanks in advance! :)

Senior Lifestyle Editor

asked 6 months ago

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I got one of these microplane grating cubes. I haven't tried it out yet but there is always something that needs to be grated.

I love my flat whisk. It gets into the corners of a pot when making custard, it serves as a kind of sub for a slotted spoon to lift things (hard-boiled eggs for example) out of hot liquid, it fits my small hands. I reach for it much more often than for my balloon whisk.

LOVE my flat whisk. Don't know what I'd do without it!

Hana Asbrink
Hana Asbrink

Senior Lifestyle Editor

Hear, hear! Love my flat whisk so much, thanks for chiming in!

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Hands down the little silicon pot sleeves that I slide over the blazing hot handles of my oven-safe sauté pans. My husband, after the 57th time hearing me shout strings of unprintable curses after making a frittata (or anything else) and forgetting the handle was approximately the temperature of the surface of the sun, ordered me some. Now neither my hands, nor my children's ears, are scorched.

Hands down my very old vegetable peeler. Not only for vegetables, curls of chocolate, peeling fruit: apple peels (add whole cloves, water and simmer for a warm, cozy seasonal scent) and add orange peels for an extra burst, zucchini ribbons, shreds of cheese, endless uses! BB

ktr
ktr

My handheld milk frother. It works great for mixing cream into coffee and for making hot cocoa. Between my husband and me, it gets used several times every day.

I have a battery operated frother that I picked up at World Market years ago for $10.00. They are great. BB

ktr
ktr

I have one at work and one at home. I used it last night to make hot cocoa and it has been used twice this morning already by me and my husband to mix collagen into coffee

scruz

any one of my sharp kiwi knives. or my piece of rubber thingy that helps me open tightly closed lids on jars.

A combination peeler/julienne cutter. It looks like a 2-headed peeler with a peeling blade on one side and a julienne blade on the other. Indispensable! I think I paid around $10 for it.

Is this for a fluff article to insert your own merchandise? Or are you really just curious, lol. You could pick a few of these handy dandy kitchen helpers and write an in-depth article about the inventor, state of manufacturing, interesting facts, etc. Include recipes with ginormous photos strewn within the article that use said products for click bait.

Many of these questions are turned into future articles. Great place to gather information and ideas.

mstv

Bench scraper, whisk, or rubber spatula.

Mei Chin

mini offset spatula

grandrivergirl

I like hand knit cotton dishcloths. Great texture for wiping down counters and such.

Trish

Dollar Store hand held grater. 😊

MMH
MMH

We are both cooks and In a 2nd relationship. We combined 2 well stocked kitchens. So I've been looking at the most used low cost pieces. I think it's a pair of locking tongs.

bjm
bjm

My trusty flat wire whisk - I have two sizes and use them constantly. They get to the edges of a sauce pan much more reliably than a balloon wisk.

Bevi

Very old vegetable peeler, tongs, wooden spoons, microplane.

Love my old vegetable peeler too!
I’ve tried new ones and they don’t ‘feel’ right. My peeler is over 30 years old and still works beautifully.

ktr
ktr

I don’t think I will ever have an old vegetable peeler - my husband seems to break them every few years :)

Yes, Bevi, the bamboo tongs, thanks for mentioning those . . . . you could get good ones at Cost Plus for under $2, last I checked.

louisez

Messermeister serrated peeler.
No more boiling peaches for pies and jams.