froze some french onion soup about 2 months ago, took it out of the freezer and there is some thick dark liquid on top that didnt freeze...what is it

asked by Bill Osborn 6 months ago

Hard to say, even more so since you didn't bother to post a photograph.

Not knowing the specific recipe or how you stored it (like covered with aluminum foil) makes it even harder to guess.

That said, fat is lighter than water, so my guess would be that it is some type of fat.

Fat has a lower freezing point than water and no one here knows if your freezer's thermostat is set low enough to freeze the fat. If any ice cream stored in your freezer is relatively easy to scoop when immediately removed from the freezer, then presumably your freezer isn't all that cold.

That's my best guess with the absence of a photograph, a more detailed description, and pointer to the actual recipe.

Voted the Best Answer!

Take it down a notch, cv. Perhaps Bill is not able to take a photo, does not have the recipe (i.e. he did not make the soup), and "thick dark liquid that" did not freeze is the best description. If his question annoys you by the lack of details, perhaps it best to not answer if all you can really provide is snark.

Well, I did provide a guess based on the limited description (didn't freeze, floated to top).

I'm just pointing out that more information will increase the chances of a more meaningful and informed guess.

If he doesn't have a camera, that's fine although most of here do (in the form of a smartphone). He did post a photo of himself during registration so clearly he knows how to upload photos online.

As for the lack of a recipe, that's fine as well, but that in itself is useful to know.

Anyhow, best of luck to all that intended on providing a useful guess to his dilemma.

In that sense, perhaps you can contribute a thoughtful
and helpful guess. At least I tried.

Have a nice day!

;o)

You gave some good advice... Did it really need to be sandwiched between 2 statements that belittled someone who was looking for help?

I willingly offer suggestions when I am able. I don't feel the need to put others down when I do offer help. Your advice, while sound and practical, does not make the overall tone of your post more acceptable. It's like spitting on food and then offering it someone.

Bill Osborn

No photo because I didn’t even know this site exsisted at the time. My guess is there was alcohol (wine) in the recipe. Thanks for all the tips on the info I should give next time. I’m ok with the attitude (some people might not be), I’m used to it by now lol. I will do better next time

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Is there alcohol in the soup?

Bill Osborn

Yes I think so...wine

Stephanie B.

Could it be gelatin?

cookbookchick

Could be oil if you used some in the recipe.

cookbookchick

As for the attitude, we know by now that it’s just cv being cv. Remember when he (if cv is a he) used to say he wasn’t going to stay around for long on Food52? Perhaps he came to realize that we could benefit from his well-informed curmudgeonry! 😉