What are some names of recipes that have a body part in the title?

For example, Saltimbocca: The name of this famous Italian recipe literally translates to "jump in the mouth"

asked by CameronM5 about 7 years ago

One-eyed sandwich. http://www.food52.com/recipes... (great question btw!)

What a great question. I had something rather unappetizing in Spain that translated roughly to "arm of potato, stuffed with tuna" -- I don't remember the exact phrasing, but "brazo" (meaning arm) was definitely in there. (Please forgive the super low-tech photo).

http://www.food52.com/recipes... from Mrs. Larkin

MrsKeller

Angel hair pasta. Red eye gravy. There's hundreds of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Ladyfingers...

HollowLeg

Orecchiette pasta - "little ears", hogs head cheese

Sadassa_Ulna

elbow macaroni, linguine, I guess any meat that you eat by the part: liver, shanks, etc.? fun question!

ribs , hams, butts, leg of lamb, turkey, chicken, breast of poultry

I've always wanted to taste Ladies' Navels, from Turkey, I believe. (I wanted to be sure I hadn't dreamed this, so a quick check reveals Kadin Gobegi is the name, many recipes come up.)

Esther Plume

Okra - otherwise known as ladies fingers, aren't there some Mexican biscuits that translate to fingers of the dead as well?

CameronM5

Thanks guys this is so helpful. I found a few more. I love this especially: Lengua de gatos are Cat's tongue cookies. http://www.applepiepatispate...

MrsKeller I contacted the writer of that book for my article. Thanks so much for that!

Sarasita

Many parts of animals we eat have body part names - thighs, legs, breasts, ribs, tongue, liver, etc.

You also have things like "open-faced" sandwiches, "heads" of lettuce, artichoke "hearts," "kidney" beans, "navel" oranges, potato "skins"...

EmilyNunn

Meatballs.

MrsKeller

You are welcome, CameronM5! It is a very fun book.

Apologies for the spam -- we're working to track it down.

Ears of corn...angel hair pasta...fish eye pudding (what, that's not what you called tapioca as a child?)...hearts of palm...blood oranges....finger sandwiches...chicken fingers...

Bevi

I was introduced to "Toad in the Hole" as an "Egyptian Eye"

chicken fingers, head cheese... this would make a fun game at a party.

skittle

Hearts of palm!

Anitalectric
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

There is a cut of beef in Colombia called "muchacho" which translates to "boy." Did anyone bring up ladyfingers yet? Hearts of palm or artichoke hearts.

Sagegreen

Don't forget the descriptive fuzzy or the hairy navel, two drink recipes.

nutcakes

There is a delicious Italian cookie called bones or bones of the dead (Ossi Dei Morti), Stella Bakery in SF has delicious ones. Pope's Nose is the tail of a turkey or chicken.

NomNom

I like to eat brains.