Pickling Spices

70c7a702 22fe 4f2e b474 d0f96fa105c3  picture

Could not find pre-packaged pickling spices in my supermarket. What do pickling spices consist of??
I would like to make my own. Thanks in advance.

asked by Miafoodie about 7 years ago

Miafoodie

Ooops, where did that photo come from on my computer. How do I erase it??

Pickling spices are made up of whatever you like. Here is a recipe from The NY Times I use.

November 9, 2005
Recipe: Pickling Spice

Adapted from "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn

Time: 10 minutes

2 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons allspice berries
1 tablespoon ground mace
2 small cinnamon sticks, crushed or broken into pieces
24 bay leaves, crumbled
2 tablespoons whole cloves
1 tablespoon ground ginger.

1. Combine peppercorns, mustard seeds and coriander seeds in a small dry pan. Place over medium heat and stir until fragrant, being careful not to burn them; keep lid handy in case seeds pop. Crack peppercorns and seeds in mortar and pestle or with the side of a knife on cutting board.

2. Combine with other spices, mix. Store in tightly sealed plastic or glass container.

Yield: 1 cup.

I'm surprised to see powdered spices in the above recipe. Don't they make the brine cloudy? I think it would be good without the mace and ginger. What I'm used to buying doesn't have the sweet spices -- allspice, mace, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, so you could simplify and use all the rest.

Miafoodie

Thank you so much for your receipe SKK. I did not use the powdered spices
like susan g suggested, because I did not want to make the mixtures cloudy.
I did add some fresh dill as I was making pickled veggies. Thanks again for
your help.

Apologies for the annoying spam -- we're catching up and fixing it now.

Miafoodie

Amanda, I don't think it was spam, I think I inadvertenly published the picture
from somewhere on my computer. Sorry about that, how do I delete it???

Like the photo! There was a "response" that was an ad for clothing -- I deleted it.