I have a five pound bag of yellow plums. My family of three can only eat so much before they rot. What's the best thing to do with them?

asked by Kathleen Tamayo Alves about 7 years ago

chrissyb

You could make plum butter in the freezer. I did that last year. I've also seen a tart or cake with the plums.

Make jam http://www.food52.com/recipes... or simply can them in pint jars, water beth.

I meant to say water bath, not beth. escharlie is right on, you could freeze the jam or the fruit.

ATG117

Well jenny just posted about ricotta plum tartlets, which look delicious and sound absolutely easy. You can make tarts or pies, cobblers, crumbles, etc. If you went with pie, you could even make extras and freeze them unbaked, then bring to room temp and bake when you are ready to use them. Jam (re SKK) is a great idea in terms of using a lot of plums and preserving. Another similar idea would be a fruit compote with plums, apples,and cherries. On the savory side, I can see them being roasted with chicken or added to a salad of greens, cheese, and some toasted nuts. Last thought... grill, drizzle with honey, and top with a dollop of marscapone and maybe something for crunch.

Plum brandy. Put them in a big jar with a cup of sugar and vodka. Let them steep a month or more. Then strain and bottle for gifts.

Take a look at Jenny's Monday post on plum tartlettes. Think about making the large version, as she did, and freeze them.

cookinginvictoria

Make last year's plum recipe contest winner, Late Summer Plum Cake. I have made this cake several times. It is really delicious, super easy and freezes well.

Esther Plume

Jam, chutney or bottled if you haven't got much freezer space, or ice cream, tarts or cakes if you've got freezer space! I have to say spiced plum chutney is excellent with cheese or cold meats.....

Ranghild

Pit plums, put in double boiler and cook a long time until soft. Add sugar to taste. Puree in blender. Refrigerate some, freeze some. This is so delicious it wont last long. Serve with yogurt, ice cream or as is.

Meatballs&Milkshakes

There are lots of great dessert options mentioned, but don't forget you can also use them in savory dishes. Just add some to some chicken, fish, or my favorite: pork. They cook down into a lovely salty and sweet sauce. Fruit goes really well with pork in general, and adding some onions, garlic, and plums to some pork chops makes a quick and easy sauce.

Loves Pie

A spicey plum chutney would be great or a plum sorbet - maybe paired with another fruit. I just made a plum raspberry sorbet and it was lovely.

the professor

Kat Alves--welcome to foodpickle! i knew you'd love it. aren't these people amazing?

I've been thinking of making this with fresh plums -- it sounds terrific!

Jenny's Plum Tartlets look really appetizing, but what I really love is Plum Kuchen. A lovely Austrian lady gave me her recipe years ago, but I've seen some on the web.

rapearson

Plum cobbler would use up a pound or so. Clafouti is good with plums too.

nomnivorous

Last year, my CSA had a major overflow of yellow plums. Every week, we were getting pounds of them. After making a vanilla bean jam with them (barely sweetened, tart, yummy!), I decided to go savory. Plum sauce, from Put Em Up (canning cookbook), is absolutely amazing! [ http://www.seriouseats... ] While yellow plums don't give you a dark sauce, you still get a sweet, salty, sour flavor combination that is heavenly. Used in stir fries, glazed on meats or added as a condiment to the final dish, it's great.

melissav

Make Mrs. Wheelbarrow's spicy plum sauce - http://www.mrswheelbarrow...