Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I bought some mustardy greens at an Asian farmers market that look similar to small light green bok choy. What's the best way to cook them?

Thanks so much! ;o)

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

In a similar manner as saag paneer. its delicious with corn tortilla (roti), check out recipes for Sarson ka saag like this one.. http://indianfood.about...

I'm a big fan of a light, quick saute with a bit of butter, s & p. Delish with many greens I've tried.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Without seeing them, I'd probably go with a quick saute too. Next time you're off buying Asian greens and vegetables (I saw your long bean question), pick up some gai lan (Chinese broccoli). It's a cross between greens and an asparagus-type vegetable. Cut it into pieces, steam or simmer, then drain, saute, and add a little sauce.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I like them sauteed with garlic, lemon olive oil, salt and pepper...I know it's not Asian but so good!!

15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4

Usually, Chinese mustard is pretty peppery. It also seems to cook fairly quickly. With those two factors in mind, I like a quick, hot stir fry. Sesame oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, greens. I just do a bite test, cooking until they're done enough for me. Sprinkle with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.

The technique is nothing mind bending, but paired with a hearty bowl of fried rice or soba [topped with an egg!], I find it to be a delicious dinner.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

This isn't quite on point, but if you have a source for Asian greens, ask for one called Hon Tsai Tai (grows best in cool weather). I grow it myself well into November. It is absolutely delicious cooked simply, like spinach, or in a stir fry. Check the Johnnys Selected Seeds catalog for a really good selection of different Asian greens, if you have a chance to grow your own.

Yum, mainecook61, isn't that bok choy-like and mustardy like AntoniaJames described her greens?

Hon Tsai Tai is leafy and doesn't have that bulbous bok choy shape and crunch. The stems are reddish, the leaves look more like mustard greens, and when it blooms (I've seen bees buzzing in it in November here!) it has little yellow flowers. It isn't sharp at all, and when the cold gets to it, it turns almost sweet. My jusband, who's indifferent to things like swiss chard, is already asking: "Have you planted that green thing I like?" I will in about a week. I've just been WAITING to post a commercial for HTT! Now if the tomato hornworms would just go away......