I bought some mustardy greens at an Asian farmers market that look similar to small light green bok choy. What's the best way to cook them?

Thanks so much! ;o)

Panfusine
Panfusine August 5, 2011

In a similar manner as saag paneer. its delicious with corn tortilla (roti), check out recipes for Sarson ka saag like this one.. http://indianfood.about.com/od/vegetarianrecipes/r/sarsonsaag.htm

lovesitc
lovesitc August 5, 2011

I'm a big fan of a light, quick saute with a bit of butter, s & p. Delish with many greens I've tried.

Greenstuff August 5, 2011

Without seeing them, I'd probably go with a quick saute too. Next time you're off buying Asian greens and vegetables (I saw your long bean question), pick up some gai lan (Chinese broccoli). It's a cross between greens and an asparagus-type vegetable. Cut it into pieces, steam or simmer, then drain, saute, and add a little sauce.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen August 5, 2011

I like them sauteed with garlic, lemon olive oil, salt and pepper...I know it's not Asian but so good!!

nomnivorous
nomnivorous August 5, 2011

Usually, Chinese mustard is pretty peppery. It also seems to cook fairly quickly. With those two factors in mind, I like a quick, hot stir fry. Sesame oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, greens. I just do a bite test, cooking until they're done enough for me. Sprinkle with green onions and toasted sesame seeds.

The technique is nothing mind bending, but paired with a hearty bowl of fried rice or soba [topped with an egg!], I find it to be a delicious dinner.

mainecook61
mainecook61 August 5, 2011

This isn't quite on point, but if you have a source for Asian greens, ask for one called Hon Tsai Tai (grows best in cool weather). I grow it myself well into November. It is absolutely delicious cooked simply, like spinach, or in a stir fry. Check the Johnnys Selected Seeds catalog for a really good selection of different Asian greens, if you have a chance to grow your own.

Greenstuff August 6, 2011

Yum, mainecook61, isn't that bok choy-like and mustardy like AntoniaJames described her greens?

mainecook61
mainecook61 August 6, 2011

Hon Tsai Tai is leafy and doesn't have that bulbous bok choy shape and crunch. The stems are reddish, the leaves look more like mustard greens, and when it blooms (I've seen bees buzzing in it in November here!) it has little yellow flowers. It isn't sharp at all, and when the cold gets to it, it turns almost sweet. My jusband, who's indifferent to things like swiss chard, is already asking: "Have you planted that green thing I like?" I will in about a week. I've just been WAITING to post a commercial for HTT! Now if the tomato hornworms would just go away......