🔕 🔔

What to do with non-sweet sweet corn?

Missed the local market this morning so I bought my corn on the cob at the grocery store. When I went to take it off the cob for corn pudding tonight, I realized it wasn't very sweet. What can I do with it to either add sweetness or make it into something where sweetness wouldn't matter?

asked by Ellen Joyce about 6 years ago

Any corn has an inherent sweetness factor. You're familiar with the term "high fructose corn sweetener?" It's the darling of the soft-drink and junk-food industry. Go ahead and make your corn pudding. It will be all the more wonderful for its natural and original qualities. And crunch!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Take the corn off the cob and scrape in the milk. You can follow Merrill's video technique, which is pleasantly quick, or you can use a box grater to break down the kernels. I would steep the corn in hot milk, if that's in the recipe, and cool to room temp before adding to the recipe. You might run the corn and liquids in the blender -- thinking that any or all of these techniques might release the corn's natural sweetness.
Finally, when you eat, eat slowly. Chew and savor your food. Saliva breaks down the starches and changes them to sugar -- chewing makes your food taste better.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Non-sweet corn is old corn, plain and simple. People who grow their own joke that they put the pot on before picking corn because as soon as it's picked, the corn kernels begin to turn from sugar to starch. That old saw is not as true as it once was, since modern hybrids (particularly the varieties known as "super sweet" that must be grown isolated from regular corn) retain their sugar longer than the old types. Still, for most sweet corn to be truly good, it should be eaten the same day that it is picked. Supermarket frozen sweet corn (which is processed quickly) is usually of better quality than the stuff in the produce section. Fresh corn may be locally grown but it can still taste awful; it all depends on when it was picked.

D6706402 eb96 499d a671 b2e90db25df9  bike2

I would resist buying corn at the grocery store, except the frozen (shoepeg frozen can be great). Local stand or freezer aisle is my best advice!

Wholefoods user icon

With fresh corn i would love to make Corn Pulao...a rice dish..