I want to make pie for a special occasion but all dessert pies are complex. Do you have any simple, cheap, tasty dessert pies?

nutcakes
nutcakes September 26, 2011

Did you have a particular type of pie in mind? I suppose the easiest would be a bottom shell only with a pressed in graham cracker or crushed chocolate cookie crust, a cream filling and topped with whipped cream (banana, coconut, chocolate.)

Next easier would be a bottom shell only with a fruit filling and a crumb top. You can buy a frozen crust or a ready made rolled out one, but homemade always tastes better. Think apple or pears right now, or peach if you want to use frozen sslices, no peeling involved. Pumpkin is simple and inexpensive.

So give us some clues....i suppose you never heard the expression "easy as pie"?

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Have you considered making a crisp instead? This is the perfect time of year for an apple or peach (the last of the season can still be found) crisp.

Apple Ginger Crisp - http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/796

Peach Crisp - http://nyc.wholefoodsmarketcooking.com/recipes/11174_peach_crisp

Good luck!

SKK September 26, 2011
beyondcelery
beyondcelery September 26, 2011

Or make a crostata. Essentially, make a pie crust, lay it out on parchment on a cookie sheet, and fill the middle of the circle with chopped fresh fruit. Sprinkle sugar over the fruit, just to cover it lightly. Add a pinch of salt the same way and any spices you want to include. Then fold up the pie crust around the fruit, covering it 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up, depending on preference. Bake around 350F or 375F, about 30-45 minutes. It ends up with a rustic look and is about the easiest pie you'll ever make.

BurghKitchen
BurghKitchen September 26, 2011

I like to take a sheet of puffed pastry, roll it out just a a bit, lightly score @ 1" in from the edges and brush with an egg wash. Then, put on apple slices, peach slices, pear slices, plum slices or any other fruit that you have or is in season. For apples and peaches I sprinkle with a touch of sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 450F for @ 15 minutes or until golden brown.

BurghKitchen
BurghKitchen September 26, 2011