🔕 🔔

What is a pickle

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 6 years ago

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Dictionary definitition: A small cucumber preserved in vinegar, brine, or a similar solution.

Wholefoods user icon

Yes, per dictionary pickle is food preserved in brine or vinegar. Pickles are a staple in Indian cuisine. Here it is an intensely flavored condiment served with meals to create a balance of flavor (pickles are prepared in a range of flavors from sour and spicy to sweet). This condiment also acts as appetite stimulant and digestive aid.

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

There are pickles and then there are pickles (unless you are looking at the rubric for this food52 feature). Cucumbers can be pickled but not all pickles are cucumbers. Kimchi is a pickle,actually even sauerkraut if you think about it. Pickles abound around the globe.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Alternatively, to be "in a pickle" is to be in a situation in which you are not quite sure of the, um, solution. As in "I did not add enough salt to my brine....how will that affect lacto-fermentation? Will my pickles pickle?"