🔕 🔔

Can I substitute yellow mustard seeds for black mustard seeds?

They'd be roasted with beets in this NY Times recipe: http://www.nytimes.com...
Thanks!

asked by the professor over 6 years ago

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

You probably shouldn't, but we won't tell!

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Depending on where you live black mustard seeds can be kind of hard to find. There is a subtle difference in flavor but if you need to substitute go ahead.

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

Black mustard seeds are stronger than yellow, so you may want to increase the amount of yellow when you substitute

I just tasted a yellow mustard seed and a black mustaard seed. The yellow is milder and sweeter than the black, which I've used to make mustard. Overall, I would stick to the yellow seed.