Can I substitute yellow mustard seeds for black mustard seeds?

They'd be roasted with beets in this NY Times recipe: http://www.nytimes.com...
Thanks!

asked by the professor almost 7 years ago

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

You probably shouldn't, but we won't tell!

Depending on where you live black mustard seeds can be kind of hard to find. There is a subtle difference in flavor but if you need to substitute go ahead.

JessicaBakes

Black mustard seeds are stronger than yellow, so you may want to increase the amount of yellow when you substitute

gsloper

I just tasted a yellow mustard seed and a black mustaard seed. The yellow is milder and sweeter than the black, which I've used to make mustard. Overall, I would stick to the yellow seed.