🔕 🔔

Quince? Help, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I found a past foodpickle thread suggesting to cook quince down to a jam with a ratio of 4 parts quince to 3 parts sugar. So I had about 4 cups quince and mixed in about 2 1/4 cups sugar, with juice of half a lemon. It's now been bubbling away on low heat for about 45 minutes and the pieces of quince look like little darkened puffy quince balloons in a beautiful russett syrup. I tried mashing them with a potato masher, but that did not work. Has my quince jam gone to hell?

asked by mrslarkin almost 6 years ago

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

hey mrsl -

I think Rachel Saunders has some pointers on Quince jam in her Blue Chair Jam Cookbook. I am not in Vermont otherwise I would be happy to research and send you her advice.

You might need some pectin in there. There is a Spanish jelly which accompanies cheese known as "membrillo" which is made from quince.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Hi, mrslarkin! I just cooked down some quince for a recipe test. It took a really long time! I think 3ish hours.
It was more of a sauce-like recipe. The quince itself turned a gorgeous salmon color, and broke down to a slightly chunky texture.

KFS

I dont think you need pectin...Quince is naturally full of it...I recently made quince jam following Rachel Saunders recipe and I chopped the pieces quite small...you may just have to cooki it a bit longer